HFT "Porta-Band" knock off

44 7/8" blade. Has anyone owned one ? Did it last ?

HFT only sells 10/14TPI bi-metal/cobalt (USA made) Morse blades # 38757 for this.

Have you tried them on metal ?

Reply to
Rudy

Dunno about the saw , but I like those blades . I use 'em in my Milwaukee portaband , got it set up as a vert saw for my shop .

Reply to
Snag

Yes, I've had this saw for a couple of years now and the blades are great. Once you use one of these saws you'll wonder how you got along without one. I'm able to do more milling type stuff using this saw, it cuts so fast. Since the saw isn't that expensive, I think I would just replace it instead of trying to find new parts. Parts don't seem to be wearing out yet though. It's diffidently a tool that can help you be more creative in what you are doing with metal and maybe some other materials also.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Bob..I do electrical and air piping. Would one of these saws be good to keep on the truck to cut thin wall conduit and 1/2-3/4" black pipe, or are pipe cutters better for that sort of thing?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I've had the brand name one (Milwaukee?) for 5+ years & hardly ever use it. I just keep it around cause it's too much trouble to sell. But I do have the HF 4x6 bandsaw & it gets used A LOT.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote: I've had the brand name one (Milwaukee?) for 5+ years & hardly ever use

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I also have both the Milwaukee and the HF portable band saws, but my experience is different from yours. I already had the Milwaukee, and bought the HF one so I would have a spare, in case the Milwaukee quit. Being without a portable band saw would virtually put my welding equipment out of service also. the HF saw worked fine at first, but then I started having trouble with the blade jumping off the wheels. I eventually got tired of fighting the problem, and just set the saw aside. I am sure it can be remedied, and from what you guys say, I guess I should spend a little time on it.

BTW, I also have a HF circular metal cutting saw, which is in the same price range as their portable band saw. It cuts okay, but I never use it, because when I'm holding the saw, I can't see where the blade is cutting--cutting to a mark is pure guesswork.

Gunner, a portable band saw would be ideal for cutting pipe or conduit on the job, as long as you have electricity. Advantage: you don't need room to swing the handle around. also, it's a little faster, and produces less of a burr inside the pipe. If you are making something out of conduit, you can make angle cuts.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

How much do you want for the Milwaukee?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks! Pretty much what Id thought..but wanted to confirm.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Gunner Asch" wrote: How much do you want for the Milwaukee? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Be sure you get a variable speed model. Blades don't last running at full speed on tough materials.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Ah! Id not thought of that. But nearly everything Id be cutting is conduit, black pipe and unistrut.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I ain't Bob, but I sure would sure use my "portaband" to cut those things. Might want a slightly finer blade for thin wall.

Pete Stanaitis

----------------------

Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
spaco

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote: Whenever I buy a tool, I will disassemble it to see the manufacturer's design and construction. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very few people go to that trouble, and many tool buyers wouldn't know much more if they did take their tools apart. Would you care to share some of this knowledge with the rest of us--particularly, which tools you consider outstandingly good, or particularly bad? I take it you consider the HF portable band saw near the bottom of the scale. What is your opinion of the HF small cheap portable grinders? Many people (including me) say they take a licking and keep on ticking.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

oh boy..this is gonna be good..very good indeed.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It's an older model (725?) & given that you'd want a bargain , then take $20 off that for shipping (from MA), leaves an amount that it's worth keeping for those occasional times I use it.

But there must be plenty of these things available in SoCal.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Chuckle..a very smart man indeed!

Actually not as many as you would think and pawn shops often charge more than brand new.

Ill keep my eyes open. They are sorta in a class of their own..and not something Im going to find in a machine shop, though I might find one at a shut down of a factory.

Thanks

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Conduit? I use an abrasive blade in a $29.95 circular saw, and a reamer in my cordless. I've had nothing, but abrasive blades in that saw for 15 years now. It screams a bit, but it still works. Very fast. I use my sawzall if the circular is not handy and I only have one piece to cut, but that circular saw is my work horse for cutting EMT.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I do that too but don't like to suggest it here because I don't know how easily the disks break. I also use one in a table saw, where following a line is easier. It's too messy to do indoors and too loud for some neighborhoods.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If you use an abrasive blade in a table saw be prepared to replace the bearings. Ask me how I know.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

There are quite a few, between DeWalt and Milwaukee on Craigslist, across the country..running about $165-185 used. ~$ 259 new

Rudy