Homebrew cutting buggy?

I've used a Victor line cutter at the local comm college and would like to improvise something that will do such nice, smooth cuts in thick metals. It would be even better if it could follow a pattern (like another tool at the college).

I know real welders do everything by hand, but I just can't control my speed well enough to cut 1" slab with a "ready for paint" edge, like these little trolleys can. Once you get the speed and gas settings right, it's pretty much as good as a laser!

I'm searching for rube-goldberg ideas for devising this kind of machine for home use. My immediate projects would be happy with 12" of travel.

My current thoughts include:

1) use conventional angle iron guide, hose clamp on the tip to control height, and constrain the torch motion against a manual pull with a cable connected to some sort of damper - maybe a hand bicycle pump with a controlled air escape?

2) same as above but with steady pull against damper with cable/pulley/heavy weight.

3) build hand cranked linear positioner (jackscrew) with low enough gearing that speed isn't so sensitive.

4) Same as above with variable speed motor.

5) Hell, buil a two axis, add stepper motors, and connect it to my laptop with an NC program!

The key is to do this for less than $100. There must be some clever people out there!

Reply to
jimgnospam

How about this:

Princess Auto (Canada) and Harbour freight (US) seem to sell these Oxyacetylene torch/plasma cutter circle cutting jig attachments which also sport two wheel-guides on them for cutting straight lines. I bought mine on sale for $12 Canadian. Then I got 2 pieces of 3/4" x

3/4" x 1/16" angle iron, about 3 feet long each, and tacked them parallel to each other on a couple of short pieces of tubular steel so that they act as a guide for the wheels. (I can't follow a line drawn on the steel, either.) I hold it onto the workpiece, or on to my welding/cutting table, with a couple of medium size welding magnets. Total cost something that will do such nice, smooth cuts in thick metals. It would be even better if

home use. My

Reply to
Lawrence Farries

even better if

well enough

home use. My

Reply to
jimgnospam

i suppose it depends on the size of your work, but you could move the plate instead of the torch. for straight cuts anyway. a couple of powered rollers and a clamped guide might do the trick.

wear your safety shoes.

that speed is a

would be even better if

speed well enough