How's this for safety conciousness?

Now let's not get carried away with health and safety:

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yowza! Necessity is a Mother.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

And I've thought that the casing held together with rope was something!

This machine - do you know - did it weld well? Does it seem to handle well? Does it have varying current settings? Can anyone say - is it a good, technically insightful or skilled design?

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith

I saw a very similar setup in Indonesia about 30 years ago, but they did at least wear "googles"; of a similar standard of construction to the transformer.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Sure! You can adjust current by tightening/loosening the various strings.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

The weld shown in one of the pictures, is not very impressive.

Ignoramus17716

But we've all likely seen worse done on better equipment too

Reply to
Brent

Home made with some thought. Looks light on connectors. Wonder what the H frame was cut from. Tin can maybe ? The 5 gallon water/gas can maybe ?

The high current winding was wrapped - interesting.

If I build one, I know it will be better. Makes me feel good for my skills.

Looks like he got what he needed and went on to use it. wow.

Mart> Andrew Maws>> Now let's not get carried away with health and safety:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Blush..indeed....

Gunner

Well, I for one am freakin' impressed! I like it! :)

I've heard of people that built their own machines, and I've often wondered how this is done. Does anybody know of any good websites that show illustrated instructions on how to build a machine? That would be neat to read over.

My guess is these guys are in or near India. Those little guys are smart, but they have no money.

Certa> Now let's not get carried away with health and safety:

Reply to
jp2express

WOW! That looks my grandchild's swing set. Must be from the same manufacturer

-Mike.

Reply to
mlcorson

Xx?­±nÂ0?÷

Reply to
Priority Sales

When I look at the picture, I don't see any paper between the layers. It looks to me like rusted metal that's been banged around so much that the edges just got bent enough to make it look somewhat paper-like.

My first thought was that the transform was not hand-made but that it was just scrapped from some old welder and has gotten badly banged up by being carried around and dropped on the ground for many years. They might have taken it out of the enclosing case simply because the box was too big to carry around by hand or on bike and just carrying the transformer made it easier. But the plates are so uneven that it might have been hand made out of scrap metal. I still suspect however that it's a production transformer that has simply been so beaten up that it looks hand made.

Reply to
Curt Welch

I reckon you'd need quite a bit of 'spirit' to use that welder - rum or whisky for preference

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Reply to
jp2express

Reply to
jp2express

More like your older brother using lies about your treatment of the cat as an excuse to bully you and steal your lunch money and girlfriend.

Aggression and particularly preemptive violence are war crimes.

Reply to
Private

So from looking at that is that a bought in rod or does he do a good job of rolling his own.

Reply to
David Billington

I bet Harbor Freight or Chicago Electric will soon have that model on the shelf!!!

Reply to
RDF

I made a decent welding transformer from a giant 220 volt Variac. Bought it at a scrap yard, the variable arm assembly was broken off. Broke the Aluminum base off. Wound welding cable around the core, put 220 to the original primary winding. The cable was about 40 feet long, had an electrode holder on one end and a ground clamp on the other. More current, wind a few more turns on the core.

Al

Reply to
Big Al