I tigged a bandsaw blade!

I broke an expensive blade because of ooperator error. I had never tried tig welding a bandsaw blade before. So I just went ahead and
tried it. It worked great! Only took me three tries to get the weld to last more than a few parts. But finally the blade is holding well. I'm cutting 1.5 dia stressproof. And I figgered it out all by myself. That page that Ernie Leimkuhler posted :
http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/shop_projects/bandsaw_blade_weld_jig/index.html didn't help one bit. His advice about amperage and filler metal could have been figured out by me, eventually, someday. I mean really, tempering the HAZ properly is just like falling off a log. Who needs someone to hold their hand when they are trying something like this out the first time? Well, me, actually. Ernie's info really helped. He states that done properly there is no need to weld both sides. I found that if I left a small gap, about .010", between the ends of the blade, the weld worked just the way Ernie said it would. I used 308ss filler because it was the only SS rod I had on hand small enough. There was no sugaring on the back side of the weld. I attribute this partly to using similar fixturing to what Ernie shows on his page. Thanks to Ernie again for his excellent welding advice. Eric

I really should have figured out some kind of royalties system to retire on.
On 1/14/2012 4:01 PM, Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

It's pretty hard to live on all the love you get Ernie, but you should feel good knowing you helped a lot of people. Thanks, Mikek
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 00:31:38 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

cool, I have a tig here, syncrowave 351 , a friend was here that can tig aluminum foil , beer cans are easy for him, I have some press forms I have to tig, knife edge for a clicker type press cutting materials

Virus Database (VPS): 120115-1, 01/15/2012

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in