Info/Manual for an Olympic Bantum

Hi,

wondering if anyone can help.

I am very lucky and have just been given an Olympic Bantum Arc Welder. See pic:

It's a beautiful piece of kit, made to last and VERY heavy, (or maybe I just need more Weetabix in the morning).

What I would like to know is if anyone has a manual for it or could advise me of it's maintenance schedule. Specifically when it requires an oil change and where the fill/sump plugs are. Bit hard to lift up and look.

Also, it says it takes 30 litres of Shell Diala B. I've not heard of this oil before, I take it it's not something I can buy in Halfrauds.

many thanks,

Heds

Reply to
hedleyp

I am curious to see more pictures. I wonder just what that thing is.

Ignoramus27362

Try here:-

all of the trade names (Pic, Olympic, Oxford etc) seem to refer to the same models.

For the OP:- The oil is transformer oil, if there is no water in it, it should last pretty well forever. My one's got a filler plug between the 50V terminal, the common terminal and the edge of the lid. Your's doesn't seem to have one in this location. Try removing the covers from the two electrical boxes on the top, you may find one there.

If you do need oil for it, then a commercial oil dealer will be able to get you some, or an equivalent, probably in 25litre drums.

Mark Rand (also got an Olympic Bantam)

Reply to
Mark Rand

Ok,

here's a close up of the control panel:

I was also given this:

/Heds

Reply to
hedleyp

I see. So, what are they, basically big transformers on wheels? I have never seen anything like that. I suspect that Christopher from rec.crafts.metalworking owns something similar. I took liberty of xposting there.

Ignoramus27362

A very nice freebie, I must say! Congratulations!

Ignoramus27362

Thanks Mark.

/Heds

Reply to