making my own telescope type magnifiers?

I've been looking to buy head worn telescope type magnifiers because the Opti-Visor and their ilk all bug my eyes. The optometrist said
this is because of two reasons in my case. First is that they don't correct my astigmatism and second because the spacing of the lenses doesn't match the spacing of my eyes. The least expensive of the head worn magnifiers I have found so far is close to $400.00 US. And there appears to be no upper limit in price. So, I'm thinking that by using the Edmunds book "Popular Optics" for the math and design ideas, and buying surplus coated lenses I can make my own. Any suggestions? Thanks, Eric R Snow

Well, I'm not overly sure how this might work with your plan, but if you can figure out the right optics for the eyepiece (your prescription plus whatever factors are needed for the input end of the magnifier) the cheap glasses via the web route might help with that, and you could just attach tubes and objectives, probably also needing some additional headgear to hold the things.
I grabbed a couple of pairs of the cheapest versions from Zenni after getting my main glasses through my usual route, and the optics are fine to my prescription and eye spacing. They are, however, plastic lenses, which I have a poor history with, but supposedly hard-coated polycarb, and I have not yet managed to destroy them. The frames have displayed some of their cheapness, but not in a very bad way (a magnet popped out of a "magnetic clip-on sunglass" frame).
I have actually wondered, and should try asking my eye doctor, if some basic addition to the prescription would yield a pair of prescription (simple, not telescope-type) magnifiers. Or I guess you could ask yours and let me know, if the optivisor is basically a simple magnifier, and a simple magnifier with correct spacing and astigmatism would do you.

"Eric R Snow" wrote: (clip) The optometrist said this is because of two reasons in my case. First is that they don't correct my astigmatism and second because the spacing of the lenses doesn't match the spacing of my eyes. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why can't you just wear your prescription glasses?
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 01:47:49 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

Greetings Leo, I actually meant to post this in another newsgroup so maybe that's why you asked but I'll still answer your question. My prescription lenses can't give me the ability to see really tiny features. 20/20 vision is fine for regular welding and my glasses work well for that. I need magnifying glasses for doing work on tiny machined parts. Eric
Eric R Snow wrote:

Eric, what works for me is a pair of flip up magnifying lenses. The major difference between these and the telescopic ones that dentists use these days is focal distance. If you don't mind being up close, the flip ups are *much* cheaper.
I tried a couple of optometrists, including one catering to industrial folks, all their flip ups were junk. The best ones I found were at a fly-tying fisherman's shop.
These look like the ones I've got: (Amazon.com product link shortened) watch the line wrap. There are cheaper prices advertised than Amazon, you pays your money and takes your chances.
Steve

Thanks Steve. I already have some of these. And of course they don't match close enough the inter pupillary distance of my eyes. Most people can tolerate this fairly well. Unfortunately I end up using one eye with this type of magnifier. Either eye works but together the image is slightly double. Close spaced vertical lines are a particular problem. Eric