Metal art made from ER70 filler rod?

I have made a few art pieces made from various thicknesses of ER70 TIG welding rod, and I was wondering if anyone else tried to do the same. I am especially interested in cute things that kids can play with, or puzzles.

Ignoramus5928

I am generally afraid of stabbing myself in the eye with that sort of stuff. Now that I wear glasses the risk is much diminished. I would try and find alternatives for the kids to play with.

I think I have about 700 pounds of that stuff in 50 pound boxes 1/16 and

3/32 that I got at a sealed bid sale so if you think up something else worthwhile to do with it let me know.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

Well, if there are no pointy ends, it should be OK. For examples, circles, triangles, cubes etc should be safe.

Just curious how much you paid.

You can sell that stuff on ebay, by the way.

I could use some 3/32. Are you near Chicago by any chance?

Ignoramus5928

I tried doing some 3D artwork with 1/16" er70 a long time ago. I did a couple of bridges that I put on top of scenes in other media. The idea proved to be better than the finished product for me.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

It would have been a lot easier with 3/32. I made a toy bridge using 3/32" and it worked out okay.

Ignoramus5928

The problem was not execution, it was reality and my imagination never converged.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Actually art does not have to look good. Visit a museum of modern art near you, to see ugly shit that is considered "art".

Ignoramus5928

unfortunately there were only two ten pound boxes of 1/8 which is virtually gone. I have used a few boxes of the others. Recently I learned that all the popping and bubbling from using it for oxy acetylene is the deoxidizing agents, mine is the -6 version more deoxidizing than -3 and more fluid puddle.

I recently found some of the stuff the folks got for me to play with as a kid. they consisted of wooden dowels about the diameter of pencils and spool like wooden pieces with holes to accept the wooden dowels.

I guess if you weld up the corners of the cubes then you only have to worry about licking off the copper coating.

It has been so long since the sealed bid sales brochures stopped coming not sure if the electric companies still have them. I obviously bid more than the scrap value somewhere in the 70 to 90 dollar range. I got another pallet of bizarre stuff like coated big electrodes with a hole down the middle which I think are used for underwater cutting. Some folks think you are supposed to throw out what you don't use in six months, stress is caused by clutter.

I have sold on eBay years ago and basically just buy now. I just don't like the shipping companies getting such a high portion of what folks bid. Besides I think business and industrial is basically a buyers market most of the time. nowhere near Chicago

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

Some folks define art as provoking an emotional response. If that's true there is a lot of art in this world and I just don't like most of it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

So tell us, what do you have now that you can offer for sale. Maybe there would be something that I would want.

Ignoramus11206

Reply to
Ignoramus11206

I got another

Is it bare for the first inch or so, and from then on, having a ceramic porcelain looking coating? Underwater cutting rods look like a hollow round pencil with the same coating that's on an oven door. The ones we used were coated in blue.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

VERY well said Sir!!!

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch