MIG Wire Diameters

As I research the availability of MIG supplies locally in anticipation of buying a MIG welder, I am finding sizes of 0.23", 0.24" and 0.25" for MIG wire.

Is there a standard size for MIG wire and if so, what is it?

Why do all the different sizes that vary by 0.01" exist?

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Tips are made slightly oversized anyway so a 0.024" tip is really about

0.030" ID.

Most wire I see in that size is marked 0.024", but different companies call it out differently.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have to believe its mostly about current density.

0.001 +/- 0.025 is about 4% in diameter, but a bit over 8% in cross sectional area and therefore current density.

\R

Reply to
Reg_B