Miller Roughneck 2E/2F?

Craigslist has a Miller Roughneck 2E engine driven welder advertised for $600. Looking at the pictures..it appears to actually be a 2F
with range taps on the front, rather than a selector switch. Techumse single lunger engine. Probably made about 1981. Came out of the back of a work truck. Has 15' leads. Electric start. Looks about as expected for its age and the life it led.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/462052112.html
I told the guy over the phone, it was worth between $300-375 to me, assuming that it ran and didnt smoke much.
You would have thought Id insulted his wife and his dog. Got really pissed.
Was I out of line for a 26 yr old one lunger that welds at 3600rpm and has spent most of its life in the back of a truck? Offered him $400 and he damned near slammed the phone down. "It belongs to my friend, came out of his truck, and I need to get rid of it, but am not giving it away"....click......
Im looking for a similar type of welder, 200 amp engine driven, not big footprint, for very occasional use for the odd bit of corral fencing, light structural that doesnt weigh more than about 300-400 lbs.
Any suggestions? I need one that will last a few years. Parts should be available 10 yrs from now as well.
SA-200s are common around here for about $1200-1500..but are WAY too big for what I need.
Looking for something under the $600 mark..as far under as I can go.
Gunner
You were very generous with the price.
A lot of these guys are like this, they think that this worn, rusted stuff is worth its weight in gold.
I am sure that he will be spamming craigslist for months with this POS.
Gunner Asch wrote:

I picked up a 1990 Miller Blue Star 2E, running, with leads, for $300 after what it cost me to get it home. About two weeks ago. And welder/gensets are highly sought after up here.
You can do much better than that. And should.
Grant

I used to work on small engines, and Tecumseh engines always seemed to run hotter, burn exhaust valves, blow head gaskets, throw rods, and have crappy ignition problems a lot more often than Briggs, Onan, Wisconsin, and Kohler did. For some reason they always seem more noisy than other engines also. I would tend to stay away from Tecumseh except maybe for occasional snow blower use.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:02:46 -0800, Gunner Asch

Fair welder. The good thing about engine is parts are available. The bad thing is that if it's the one I think it is they're expensive (and it was prone to ignition problems to boot). Better than having a Onan but barely.

About right as far as I'm concerned.

Normal.

Not really.

Good luck. I've heard of a few good deals but it's rare to find one worth the money.

If there's anyone on this NG that can find the good deal, its Gunner. I bet he scores a five year old one that's never been used for $100.
Karl
Gunner Asch wrote:

26 years old? And it still runs? Either it has really not been used much, or it is a miracle. You can be absolutely sure no one-cyl engine-driven anything will still be running if it was used daily for serious work. I guess if it was used once every other month, oil and filters were changed religiously, etc. it might still be in decent condition, but.....
I have a tractor that is nearly 40 years old (Bolens "husky") with a single Cyl Wisconsin that is still in very good shape. I replaced the insane updraft carb years ago with a motorcycle carb, and added a spark supressor to the voltage regulator so I didn't need to keep adjusting the regulator points, but other than that it has had no maintenance. But, I don't use it a lot, maybe 10 hours a year.
So, I guess "milage" is a pretty important factor.
Jon

The seller called me today..said he had talked to the owner..and he would take $400 for it.
I told him Id ponder on it.
Gunner

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 03:36:51 -0800, Gunner

My networking is paying off, maybe. Buddy of mine (who owes me some BIG favors, just called, says he has a Linde AC/DC gasoline welder, with a bad Onan engine, and a good Onan engine to replace it with. I told him I dont need another hobby as I start a New Project Monday (building a factory in a big assed empty 35,000 square foot building) and would be tied up for a while. Id swap him out some of the favors he owes me if it puts it together, turn keys it to me. He said he would.
Now if he actually does.....Im golden
Gunner

Shesh! Wished someone owed me favors like that!
~Joe (formerly jp2express)
"Gunner" wrote:

His machine shop is 90% machines owned by me.
Shrug...

I figure I've been collecting favours all my life and will be lucky to be able to pass half of them along in the time remaining. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:47:31 GMT, Dan@ (Dan ) wrote:

Sometimes, I have to blast through a rusted 6/8 I beam with something like 6010 or 6011. Takes a pretty good sized mig to do this, but any 200 amp stick welder will take this in stride, even outdoors in a driving rain and high wind. By "light structural", I meant I dont do it every day. 1/2" plate welding is pretty common for me to do.
Ive a Lincoln weldpac 100, which is rated for 1/4" with flux core. Trying to stick a 1/4" support flange on a 6x12" I beam, is a lesson in futility with that machine. By the time Ive burned into the I beam..Ive already used 100ft of wire..look like stalagtites...<G>
Yet Ive done it with a 110vt 90amp inverter dc only stick welder with 3/32" 6010
Gunner