Minimum age for welding?

| > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ | > You've got my attention. Would you care to tell us your stories? | > | | Well where should I start. how about the time I was fitting some 12" Sch 80 | steam line at Dixon Canning in Calif and my buddy accidently touched his | stinger opposite the piece with the gnd and I became a human conductor or | the time I was out in TX building well heads and some one laid down a lead | with bad insulation on a isolated frame holding a big generator and I was on | a metal platform next to it and you get my point. Things can happen. | | B.H.
As funny as these things are later, I wouldn't think that the voltage would be fatal to any normal healthy individual, although that incident in a boat would be a tough one. I've been nibbled with 12V a lot and hit with 220 and 440 but low current. The worst hit was 120V through one arm and out the opposite leg. Punched me in the chest a good one! What made things good for Gunner I bet was the sweat that conducted a lot of the electricity around him instead of through him. Funny how the little things always mean so much in times like that.
| | "Brian Hill" wrote: (clip) And make sure they understand basic electrical | safety. A good shock can kill them.(clip) | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ | Every aspect of shop safety is important, but I think it is actually pretty | hard to get hurt with an electric welder unless you are standing in mud or | water.
When younger I was helping a fellow and holding something for him while he tacked it. I wasn't looking, or course, and knew better than to look down before I knew for sure he was done. He lifted the rod away and stuck the red hot end right onto my forearm. The jiggle I felt from my forearm into my hand, but it wasn't near as much as that $%^&*! burn I was getting while my brain was trying to process exactly WTF was happening! I had to admit it was funny, 'cuz I think everyone was watching my expression when it happened.
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:52:46 GMT, "carl mciver"

I was laying on my back, in the bilge of an aluminum fishing boat, welding over my head fixing a busted steering box, on a very hot day, no shirt, with my bare, profusely sweating back flat and tightly pressed against the aluminum hull. I grabbed the rod stub with my bare hand..and it lit me up really really good. I did the "carp just hauled into the boat".
Fortunately..I was welding with AC..so I was finally able to get free of it, but the shot I took went clean through the chest muscles..and the old heart was blipping and blapping for a couple minutes before it settled back down to normal sinus rythem. Ive been hit before..in one case badly burned as a result..and this felt nearly as bad.
Gunner
"Brian Hill" wrote: (clip) Stick (clip)can be spendy when they start wasting rod. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is welding rod really more expensive than wire plus gas, or fluxcore wire? I'm not challenging you--I'm just wondering.

Yes and no. It's just that once the flux gets busted off a stick rod it history. I've seen people go through a lot of rod learning to weld. I think you can get less waste from wire. I'm in the industrial feild and I imagine we pay far less for gas than a guy off the street buying one bottle. I pay about $22 for a big 300 cylinder of argon and a little more for tri mix. I,m just thinking out loud here? I'm sure a lot of good points will arrise on the subject of cost.
B.H. http://www.totalprocessservice.com /
I taught my boy to gas weld at about 9 years and at about 10 he was tig welding. At 15 he tig welded my mustangII suspension in my street rod (his eyes are better then mine) He is now 19 and is L.A. certified as a welder for mig and stick. How can you get along with out welding Ed ke6bnl
Peter Grey wrote:

I taught my son at about that age and made the mistake of thinking a nice go-cart would be a fun project...took about 5 years to finish as he kept getting frustrated and lost interest off and on. It is interesting to see how the weld progressed on that frame though :) I would start with some simple things after he burns up a bunch of scrap. Go with what interests him.. Listen carefully and let him go where his intrest lies. And most important .. Have Fun :) Glenn

My dad started me arc welding about that age maybe younger. Glloves wouldnt fit so I didnt use them. It taught me to concentrate on the puddle.
go for it.
www.MachinedThings.com
"Peter Grey" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Hi all,
Just thought I'd report in. I was doing some TIG welding this evening on some SS pieces and my son came out and asked if he could try his hand. After getting him suited up in an extra hood and some gloves of mine, I had him watch what I was doing, made sure he could see the puddle, and get familiar with the motion of the torch.
He then tried some passes on a piece of S.S..125" flat stock without adding rod. He held the torch and I manipulated the pedal. Although the passes weren't straight, they looked pretty good. He kept the torch a good distance from the work and showed a pretty good feel for things. He wanted to try adding rod and he'd done well enough that I thought that he should give it a shot. I was astounded by how well he did. Nice distance, good feel for when he should speed up or slow down and he kept the bead going for a good thirty seconds until we ran out of room. I've seen plenty of adults do worse during their first TIG efforts.
I should say that we used about 70 amps on .125" material so there wasn't much chance of melting through, and that I manipulated the pedal, but overall he gave plenty of reason to be proud (not that I needed one). We'll sneak up on it slowly, but so far so good.
Thanks for all your input BTW. I used many of your suggestions.
Peter

replying to Peter Grey, slow internet wrote: well he is 25 years old so i think he can do it
replying to Peter Grey, McCullough wrote: I learned to run a bead when I was 6 in my fathers shop. I spent many years practicing running a bead. By the time I was 9 years old I could out weld anyone around our community. The earlier you teach him the better I think. Make sure to do everything safely. I would start him off with the mig welder, it is easier to handle in my experience. Good luck.