Welding rods ever age...?

I inherited an old Sears Crapsman stick welder, and about 100 pounds of various rods. Welder works, but the 6011 rods I tried leave a huge amount of slag / spatter all over the place. I've heard rods should be stored in a airtight container, lest they absorb water, etc. These rods are probably 10-15 years old, don't appear to be in bad shape, are not cracked, bent, etc. They've been stored in cardboard boxes and brown paper sacks and I'm wondering if new rods would weld a little better / cleaner ? (Using a MIG most of the time, makes me appreciate how clean they weld versus rods.) Whatcha think? Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho) wrote back on 16 Oct 2004 10:31:27 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

New rods might show a difference. Or you might (note well _might_ ) be able to dry them out in an oven at low heat. (I seem to have vague memories of a welding rod storage cabinet with some kind of heating element inside.

Or you could always leave them for someone else to inherit. :-)

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich