Ready Welder minimum thickness using inverter PS?

Hi all,

I'm a novice welder and am looking at a 10000 ADP CS to use in front of a Powcon 300 ST Inverter TIG/Stick machine. The Powcon has adjustability down to 10 amps. What's the realistic minimum thickness in steel and aluminum I can weld using the Ready Welder?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I have welded 18 ga sheet steel with mine using 0.024" wire. The real trick is if your machine has a way to reduce the open circuit voltage. My Maxstar 200DX does. They call it DIG control. By maxing out the DIG control I can easily weld thin steel.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Is the 18 ga steel you've welded using the DIG control? The Powcon doesn't offer this feature. One of the reasons I'm getting the RW is so that I can weld aluminum. Any take on its minimum capabilities in aluminim without DIG? Am I better off keeping my Lincoln to weld thin aluminum (I'd prefer not to since space is at a premium in my shop)?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Experiment. The hardest thing to master in running a RW from a Stick welder is maintaining a consistent wire stickout. The exact distance from the tip to the metal has a profound effect on the arc.

Aluminum is fine, but once again you have to be able to maintain a consistent distance to get a smooth arc. Buy lots of extra tips for aluminum and use one size larger than your wire size. Aluminum MIG uses a lot of tips up while dialing in your settings. On mine, once I get the settings right I remove the wire speed knob so I don't bump it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie

Reply to