Now it's stainless

I went to the scrap yard intending to purchase aluminium for the bracket material I wrote about a couple of days ago. The brackets were to hold some store-bought aluminium 'j' moulding I intended to use as a simple evestrough. Whist there, I spied a set of stainless steel troughs that are a much better shape and size. (I bought some al 4043 to play around with anyway.)

I gather I ought to "passivate" (is that the right word) the haz.

Pickling paste? Is that nasty stuff to work with? How does one neutralise and dispose of it properly in a home-shop setting?

If I can rig up an argon 'dam' for the back side of my welds, will I avoid the need to use some sort of acid-involved passivation procedure?

TIA again, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

Affirmative.