OT: 12v inverter for powering HF 4.5" grinder?

Hey guys, any idea what wattage or rating inverter (for 12v vehicle plug) I would need to power a harbor frieght 4.5" grinder? Gonna be buying some 1" box tubing in 20ft lengths and need to cut down to 10ft in the parking lot of the steel shop.

Thanks

-Tom

Reply to
TT

RoyJ

Most of the steel yards around here have a hefty cutting charge if you don't take the whole bar, but only charge a few bucks per drop of the saw (not per piece) to cut material in half for convenience. Have you asked?

Failing that, what's wrong with a hacksaw?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I have a portable O/A outfit I use for that.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

More than you want to draw through a lighter plug. Easier to borrow a generator or buy a small one (hey you might need it again!!!) and use that.

Reply to
Steve W.

"TT" wrote: (clip) I would need to power a harbor frieght 4.5" grinder? Gonna be buying some 1" box tubing in 20ft lengths and need to cut down to

10ft (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why don't you ask them whether they would let you plug in an extension cord? And, if they say yes, consider going back to Harbor Freight and buying one of their cheap portable hand-held band saws. (around $60 as I recall.) I bought one just to try it, and it works fine. I think you'll like it much better than an abrasive cutoff wheel. You will also find it very useful after you get the tubing home--if fact you may find you prefer it for the whole job, whatever that is.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Unfortunately this place I'm buying from is a high dollar outfit, fancy schmancy customer showroom & all. They'd rather I spend $10 on a single drop of their saw than let me plug in an extension cord.

The only reason I buy steel there is I get 50% off materials (not services) with my student ID (a deal through the local comm. college welding program) and the steel is always clean and flawless plus it's much easier than going to the local steelyard that's a dusty mess of a place with lots of rusted metal.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this would be a good reason to buy a generator!

-Tom

Reply to
TT

How many pieces are you buying? If it's just a couple, use a hacksaw.

1" tube is a piece of cake. Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

If it's a few pieces, a cheap cordless reciprocating saw would do it nicely, and probably cost less than the 600W inverter.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I've see chain saw engine powered angle grinders.

One was being used by a self proclaimed "Robin Hood" in London, who ran around in a superhero costume slicing "boots" off of illegally parked cars.

Hey, Googling "london superhero cars cutting" brought him right up.

Google is so damn easy it's scarey....

Enjoy,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

My 800 watt one will run my DeWalt 4.5" grinder as well as the 4x6 bandsaw. You're probably going to want to go directly to the battery, current draw is pretty heavy for a cigarette lighter plug. Mine came with battery clamps. Like $50 at Checker out of a Sunday paper ad.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

My steel shop cuts 20's into 10's for free, why not ask them to do it?

Reply to
Brian

Buy the steel in lengths of 10' 4", and get the remainder at drop pricing. Actual pricing rates may vary.

WB ...........

Reply to
Wild Bill

If they're that difficult to work with, are you sure you'll be able to get away with running power tools in their parking lot?

Have you considered renting a trailer or a truck to haul the 20' lengths? It might be cheaper and more hassle-free than buying an inverter or generator and chopping on site, particularly if you're buying a lot of steel (you might want to get a bunch of your fellow students to join in with you). U-Haul typically rents local trucks for $20/day + mileage (and you buy the gas). Around here, Home Depot rents their truck for $20/hour (the first hour is 75 minutes) and they include mileage and gas; you just need to buy something long from them (like a length of cheap PVC pipe). I assume you have cutting facilities available elsewhere.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Very often you can just tie 20' lengths UNDER the pickup truck, not that much sticks out.

Reply to
Nick Hull

My Craftsman 3/8 drill blows the 20a fuse in my 400 watt inverter without even putting a load on the motor.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Reply to
RoyJ

You could always bite the hook, the DeWalt rechargeable grinder is really nice. I tried one, it's really nice with no cord in the way and useful on a TON of jobs. The battery seems to hold up pretty well too. I also imagine there is a cheaper company than DeWalt (Heck, HF prob. has a version. A cutting wheel and your golden.) Plan two would be get a Pipeliner or Bobcat, a plasma cutter and trailer and go for broke. You could build it in the parking lot ! Overkill but hey, gotta plan ahead! I bet the grinder and recharger comes close to the cost of a good inverter.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

gasoline powered grinder. too expensive for the OP, but an interesting item.

Ignoramus28164

Now that is just friggin' cool!!!

Rob

Reply to