Oxy Acyteline Rig....is it past its prime?

Hi all,

I have a need to buy a welding rig for home/ hobby use.

Likely uses would be car body and floors sections, motorbikes, bike trailers perhaps, car ramps, making childrens go karts, and general home use. I would not be likely to get into mega thick work.

I did serve my apprentiship as an HGV mechanic many years ago between 1978 &

1982 and used Oxy/Acyt gear for welding, braising, and burning. I was no expert but could run a weld if needed.

I look around today and most everybody talks about electric welders which I used before too but on the face of it they dont seem to have the multifuctionality of an Oxy/Acyt rig..... heating and bending, heating rusted on nuts and bolts, welding, braising, burning etc etc.

Would it be fair to say that an Oxy/Acyt rig is still the best allround set up OR due to new innovations that is simply not the case.

Sorry if this has been posted before but I would really like some opinions from here rather than get my "opinions" for a salesman.

Regards Alan

Reply to
Alan

If you can only have one woman, you want one that can cook.

If you can only have one welder you want Oxy/Acyt

Reply to
Diamond Jim

I think O/A is still the best overall tool for welding, brazing, heating, and cutting. Gas refills can be expensive, especially for the smaller tanks. It seems the gas in sold *almost* at a flat rate no matter the tank size, so buy the largest you can move and store.

Keep in mind you will have a setup that will be in the middle of the road class for each process except maybe heating and brazing. Definitely a good starter setup. If you know exactly what you want to buy and it's new price, you can look in the used market and compare. I recommend a name brand like Victor, for accessories / repairs / resale value.

Reply to
Zorro

"Alan" wrote in news:KaTcc.23824$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.e.nsc.no:

[...]

Best all round setup I've been told. Which is why I'm going to set up an oxyacetylene rig in my garage. You can do steel, aluminum, stainless... all sorts of thicknesses... Not to mention cutting (steel anyway), heating, etc.

I'm not building bridges, just want to learn to work the puddle and OA seems to be the best option for me right now. Glad to see someone else thinking the same as me...

Reply to
jumper

O/A is the most all-around hot wrench available. You should have one. Strongly recommended. For heating it can't be beat. For cutting it is excellent on carbon steel. It is good for welding, brazing, and soldering too.

But specifically for car body welding, a MIG is far superior due to the reduced HAZ, which is important on today's HSLA body sheet steels. If you're going to do body welding, then definitely get a MIG *too*.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

A nice MIG welder would be the best for all these uses IMO,

Oxy-ace set up is really handy for all these items mentioned above,

You should get an oxy-acetylene set up since you can do everything to some degree with it and you're familiar with it (for heating, bending etc its a must have), but i would also consider a small mig or flux core welder as well. They have come down in price and are great for many jobs plus getting the oxy-ace tanks filled can get costly.

good luck! walt

Reply to
wallster