Please comment on these welds

Hello,

I am learning how to TIG weld stainless steel and would like someone to comment on these welds.

I found this piece on a scrap yard. The color is bit off. It is not really rusty but more of a golden brownish. I do not know what kind of stainless it is exactly but it is slightly magnetic. The weld is nice golden metallic color. I would like to believe that this is how a good weld should look. If someone has a link with pictures of ss welds I would like to see them.

Now look at this crud that I managed to produce

The first one appears burn to crisp while second one might be passable.

I am using Lincoln 175 with 3/32" 308 rod

What am I doing wrong and just how wrong is it?

All comments appreciated.

--

Boris Mohar

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Here are a few pics I have taken of mine as well as others......these are actual TIG welds.

Reply to
Jess

SORRY, forgot to add the link......here it is........

Jess

Thanks. I will be doing something similar on a smaller scale. Two inch schedule 40 304 beveled pipe and elbows.

Is the weld in picture:

Done without the filler rod?

If so does it get a second pass to fill it in?

When I weld without filler I can get close to the pictured weld but as soon as I use the filler rod (308) my weld get all dark as in my picture. Is that the property of the filler rod or result of my novice approach?

Reply to
Boris Mohar

That weld had a bead, filler and a non filler cap. Meaning that it was just walked over to attempt to smooth it out.

Reply to
Jess