polishing aluminum welds?

hello all. I'm wondering if there are any tricks to nice shiny welds with polished aluminum. I tried a T-Joint with two pieces of tube, both sanded down to 600 grit paper. After I welded the pieces together I polished them. the tubes got shiny, the weld got shiny, but where the weld bead met the tube it wasn't shiny. (I'm guessing that would be the heat affected zone.) after a lot more polishing I was able to get it to look better, but not perfect. Is there any way to get rid of the shadow around the weld other than sanding?

thanks, dave

Reply to
dave

Use steel wool, like a Brillo pad.