Metal Polishing & Tumbling

Hi Everybody I've been lurking around here for quite some time and would like to say thanks to all the people that post here. Very good tips. My Question is.
I built a tumbler to remove rust from metal parts. I also use it for polishing mild steel round rods for projects. I've been using a mixture of sandblasting grit and old nuts and bits of scrap metal of different sizes and shapes. To get a nicer finish on the round rods I run the above mixture and the clean out the tumbler and run it again with cut up pieces of carpet underlay and get a not bad finish but its not a shiny as I would like. I would like to achieve a shiny finish like stainless steel or at least a more silver color. Right now comes out a dull gray. A kind of a satin finish. You guys have any ideas. A commercial tumbling product for dry tumbling??? Any suppliers in Canada? Thanks John
Coarse sawdust? It is slow and not great, but cheap as dirt. maybe worth giving a try.
Koz
John Coleshaw wrote:

Try crushed walnut shells and Jeweler's rouge. Works a treat! I would not use and blasting grit first. Try glass beads, it leaves a better finish. Steve

Try the Dri Shine media that MSC sells at www.mscdirect.com It's cheap - about $30. for a 6 gal bucket and it does a fantastic job.
Russ
Russ Wizinsky
www.professorwiz.com www.metalhobbies.com
Hi Thanks for the posts. I tried small pieces ot oak and saw dust works great. Pieces come out very shiny and it costs me nothing because I had some scrap pieces laying around. I'm going to build another drum so one is full of grit and another full of wood and saw dust. Thanks again John Coleshaw