Metal Polishing & Tumbling

Hi Everybody
I've been lurking around here for quite some time and would like to say
thanks to all the people that post here. Very good tips. My Question is.
I built a tumbler to remove rust from metal parts. I also use it for
polishing mild steel round rods for projects. I've been using a mixture
of sandblasting grit and old nuts and bits of scrap metal of different
sizes and shapes. To get a nicer finish on the round rods I run the
above mixture and the clean out the tumbler and run it again with cut up
pieces of carpet underlay and get a not bad finish but its not a shiny
as I would like. I would like to achieve a shiny finish like stainless
steel or at least a more silver color. Right now comes out a dull gray.
A kind of a satin finish. You guys have any ideas. A commercial tumbling
product for dry tumbling??? Any suppliers in Canada?
Thanks
John
Reply to
John Coleshaw
Coarse sawdust? It is slow and not great, but cheap as dirt. maybe worth giving a try.
Koz
John Coleshaw wrote:
Reply to
Koz
Try crushed walnut shells and Jeweler's rouge. Works a treat! I would not use and blasting grit first. Try glass beads, it leaves a better finish. Steve
Reply to
Steve Lusardi
Try the Dri Shine media that MSC sells at
It's cheap - about $30. for a 6 gal bucket and it does a fantastic job.
Russ
Russ Wizinsky
Russ Wizinsky - ProfessorWiz
Hi Thanks for the posts. I tried small pieces ot oak and saw dust works great. Pieces come out very shiny and it costs me nothing because I had some scrap pieces laying around. I'm going to build another drum so one is full of grit and another full of wood and saw dust. Thanks again John Coleshaw
Reply to
John Coleshaw