prep butt angle iron inside access only 7018 rods

Hi all
What is the best prep and technique
* butt weld angle iron (make extra length)
* 10mm thk, 150x75 section (3/8" thk, 6"x3")
* access only from inside the angle ( L <- )
* no turning of weld assembly possible
* rods must be 7018 (would love to root 6010)
I ground out a singe V and really got grinding into the corner - something like 90deg included angle - in order to get penno into the corner.
The whole task was very slow, what with welding on temporary bracing to keep the weld straight.
Avoiding slag choking your groove and chiseling out slag was a major pain.
The root would have been easy and neat with 6010 (cellulosic), given high pen. & keyhole the root, negligible slag choking your groove, etc. - but unheard of here in the UK and I can tell you, take it on trust, that everyone and their mate would be insisting they cannot be used even if you had them.
Regards, Rich Smith