Pulsers, etc

--Had Ernie in my shop yesterday; great fun! There were 5 of us, pretty much hangin' on every word: every time he comes by I learn a fistfull of new hacks. One thing he mentioned is that, even though they've been around for a while nobody seems to have written anything in the way of a comprehensive tutorial on what you can do with a pulser. He did a few of what he calls "stupid welder tricks", but boy they surprised the heck outta me! I've been trying to weld some 1/8" wire thingys and he comes over and welds some 1/16" welding rods together, using the pulser and some insanely high amperage. IIRC he had the pulser set around 500 cycles per second and maybe 10% peak power. Interesting sound and impressive results. I can see I've got a ways to go on my learning curve! --Always good to have Ernie visit and point out blindingly obvious things that shoot right over my head too. I'd been having trouble lately getting a stable arc started with my welder; I just assumed I wasn't as skilled as I thot I was. Turns out that the aluminum tank of argon that the counter guy from Praxxair gave me last month was, in fact, full of CO2 and mislabeled! I never would have known this but Ernie sez that argon is never stored in aluminum tanks, due to the pressure limit on them being half what's needed. (That's the third time Praxxair's f***ed up on gasses I've bought from 'em; the others were easier to spot: empty tanks marked 'full' were the previous mishaps. Time to get an account elsewhere methinks!) --Oh, and I found out why my earlier attempts at TIG brazing failed so miserably: Praxxair sold me the wrong rod, even tho I had explained the application B4 they ordered it special for me! I managed to get the correct stuff from another company before 'class' and, with that and real argon (I'd gotten a spare bottle (fortunately not mislabeled) in case we ran low with all the welding we'd be doing) I finally got the hang of a process I've always wanted to learn.

Reply to
steamer

I'm not sure if I've ever seen an aluminum tank for any kind of shielding or cutting gas. Isn't there a color code that's painted on the tanks? I've never welded outside of PSNS, so I don't know if our (PSNS) regulations are different from the real world!

The Praxxair place here in Bremerton isn't bad, but I have yet to try getting any gases from them. Any "stupid welder tricks" for making sure you're getting what you need?

Reply to
TinLizziedl

I've only seen AL tanks with CO2 for beverage stuff (and of course AL SCUBA tanks).

They're colored, but as far as I can tell it isn't very consistent. I've had Argon in both teal and maroon tanks and both seemed to be correct.

So far the two Airgas branches I've dealt with (pre and post move) have been good.

Read the label on the tank, and if something doesn't seem right when you try to weld, don't assume your skills have gone down the crapper since your last welding project.

Reply to
Pete C.

All my argon tanks are brown. With the exception of the green one.

Indeed. Ive gotton C25 on more than one occasion. When my tig electrodes start evaporating I know that they screwed up.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Did your supplier replace your tungsten?

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Actually, yes they did, when I leaned on them a little.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner