Question on MCAW, Ernie?

I'm looking for some help for a friend up in Canada.

He is going to be tested on MCAW E70C/6, 045 diameter in all positions groove (2g, 3g, 4g) test coupons.

However, he can't find the parameters or video of how to run the specified wire for these positions. And the QC guy is no help. This is for CWB (Canadian Welding Board) and they haven't responded to queries.

Suggestions on where to go?

Reply to
Todd Rich

I am not getting the acronym "MCAW".

Is that Flux-core with gas or without gas, or solid wire? Or some kind of submerged arc welding?

In the US we don't test to 2G (horizontal across a vertical surface) unless specified in a Weld Procedure. We just do 3G (vertical up) and 4G (overhead) for "all position" qualification for structural steel.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Supposed to be Metal Core Arc Welding. Like dual shield but mainly metal dust in hollow wire, not as much flux. Needs gas. From what I've read it is similar to MIG, but only uses short-circuit or spray transfer.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

OK Metal-Core I know about. The problem with Metal-core wire is running out of position. It has a very high deposition rate with less clean up than dual-shield, but also less cleaning ability. It is mainly used for high speed assembly welding in factories. Metal-core wires are all "Flat" and Flat-fillet" position wires because they are too fluid to run vertical or overhead.

I know they have been working on all position metal-core, but I have yet to see it in the market.

It is often used with motorized positioners to move the part so your weld is always flat.

I just did a little online digging and it seems you can run out of position if you have a pulsed welding power supply.

Here is a good article:

I think you should have a chat with ESAB's weld engineers to develop a weld procedure for what is needed.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

(snip)

Thank you, I've passed it back along.