Re: Wiring question with Dynasty 200DX

> >>So, the welder "really" does not care what combination of neutral and phases >>enter the box. The welder would not care if a 120 volt adapter was >>connedted to black and red, red and white, or black and white. It is >>equally happy with two phases and a neutral, three phases, two phases and >>higher voltages on the phases? >> > > > Correct. > I have had my Maxstar 200DX for 3 years and it has the same Autoline > circuit. > I have run it off of pretty much anything. > I standardized on a 14L20 connector for the machine, and just made upa > pile of adapters for every other possible plug. > > I like 14L20 and 14L30 twistlocks because you can buy premade 25 foot > extension cords from Yellow Jacket. > > They are intended for use with small generators. > I have 3 of them, so I can go 75 feet from whatever power I find on a > jobsite. > I have one female 14L20 plug with bare leads on it for hotwiring into a > power panel. > > BTW if you plug an inverter into 460 volt 3 phase it will make some > really odd clicking chirping noises. > Don't worry it is supposed to sound like that and will work fine. > > > > >> >>>>>> >>> >>>>I am in the process of shopping for a welder. Based on what I have read >>>>about their flexibility, an inverter looks like a good bet and I have not >>>>read anything bad about the Dynasty, other than the price and its other >>>>features may cancel that out. The machine will probably still be working >>>>long after I quit. >>>> >>>>It appears the machine will work from virtually any ac outlet the plug >> >>you >> >>>>install on the end of the cord will fit. I assume this includes either a >>>>standard 120 volt outlet or a 240 volt dryer outlet. Not being an >>>>electrician, how does this translate to the diagram in the downloaded >>>>instruction manual which shows an L1, L2, and ground for single phase? >> >>Is >> >>>>that ground, neutral and black, a 120 volt connection (red is shown as >> >>not >> >>>>connected and taped off to the side)? The three phas diagram is shown as >>>>ground, L1, L2, and L3. Is this ground, neutral, black, and red? It may >> >>be >> >>>>the 3phase distinction that is confusing me. Does that connection cover >>>>anything that is not 120 volts? >>>> >>>>Thanks for the help clearing up the confusion. >>>> >>> >>>The white lead is neutral only on 120 VAC. Both the black and white >>>are hot on 240 VAC single phase. On three phase, the phases are >>>black, white, and red. Green is always ground. >>> >>>I deviated from the directions on mine by wiring all three phases to a >>>three conductor plus ground twistlock. Currently, I'm running it on >>>an adapter cord I made up to go to 120 VAC. I only used a three >>>conductor adapter cord, and didn't wire the pole matching the red >>>lead. When I run a 240 VAC circuit to the garage, I'll do the same, >>>just avoid landing a wire on the terminal matching the red wire lug >>>(and triple check it before plugging in). This is conveniently >>>labelled (X) on the Hubbell plugs I'm using. >>> >>>This would allow me to use the rig with three phase without re-wiring >>>the main cord, if I get lucky someday. >>> >>>Regards, >>> >>>Pete Keillor >> >>

I have my Dynasty 200DX wired into a 3-phase plug. The 3-phase "loose" socket - one of its pins - the L3 - is not connected to anything as a standard 3-core (wire) lead comes into it, from single phase mains. Could plug welder into 3-phase if it were available, therefore.

This is in the UK, with 240V 50Hz power (std 13A off a wall socket - typically 2 13A outlets in one wall fitting suggests something about 26A which I won't state (240x26 is a lot of power!) and the cooker is always on a 30A spur which has a plug - good place to plug in a welder)

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith