Readywelder?

Hi

Wonder if anyone could let me know if they feel a Readywelder would be useful to take along to vintage mx racing meets, to carry out various track side repairs, on steel and aluminum bike parts?

John

Reply to
John

Sounds like a perfect use for one. The simplest setup is to get a couple of deepcycle marine batteries to power it. one 12 volt battery and two 6 volt batteries allows you to create 6,

12, 18, and 24 volts. Lower voltages work better for sheet metal, higher voltages for frame pieces.

I power mine from a Miller inverter welder.

Great machines.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for the info Ernie.............would I be right in thinking that the Readywelder performs very much like a conventional spool gun when you are actually using it?

Also wonder what the performance is like on aluminum?

Thanks again

John

Reply to
John

Exactly only it has no contactor control so the tip is always hot. When running it from a welding powersource the machine just thinks it is a stick electrode holder.

Excellent. I have welded 1/2" aluminum from a 400 amp Miller dialarc that is from the 1960's and I have welded 16 gauge aluminum from my Maxstar.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

The application here would be run from battery power only, as it would be purely a setup for trackside repairs.

Just interested to hear how they perform on thin aluminuim using battery power only?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Batteries give you very stable voltage control, which works well for sheet metal.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler