really dumb tig question

It occurs to me that I have no idea if I should regularly change the cup on my Tig torch, or even clean it. So, what is the maintenance regime for Tig torches?

Potentially the dumbest Tig question I have every heard of, but then again I don't know the answer...:(

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

You change the cup if it gets too dirty or you drop it and it cracks. Modern alumina cups are quite strong.

I find the biggest danger to cups for me is welding dirty metal. POP and molten metal jumps up inside the cup, and often welds the collet body to the cup.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler