Rebar Welding

Was working today and saw a nice display made entirely out of rebar. It was overhead designs of archways, and columns with a triangular cross sections. It was bent in long curves, and had cross bracing and triangulation. It was not powdercoated, but just painted with a gloss enamel. It was at the Master Lock booth at the Automotive Aftermarket Products Exposition in Las Vegas, scheduled to open Tuesday. It really looked great, and would be so easy to do.

I want to use some of this to make a back yard trellis and some decorative items.

Can I just use my wirefeed, or should I stick it with 6010?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You can weld it with wire feed if you have a big enough machine (200amps). If the rebar is not the weldable type which has "weldeable" imprinted on it you should preheat all your joints to prevent brittle fractures. You must use a low hydrogen process which means E 7018 or wire feed. Randy

I want to use some of this to make a back yard trellis and some decorative items.

Can I just use my wirefeed, or should I stick it with 6010?

Steve

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Randy is correct. That is the right way to do it. But I have ignored the rules and welded rebar for non critical things. It worked for me. But if you don't do as Randy says, weld a couple of pieces together and then break the weld. Rebar can vary a lot and may or may not be weldable without preheat and Lohy rod.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Randy, If you have a copy of the Lincoln procedure handbook, you can find an entire section on what astm specs are available for re-bar, joint requirements , preheat/interpass temps and electrode selection for the differing compositions. I never read it before because I never had a need to! PP 13.4-1 through 13.4-5 .

-dseman

Reply to
dave seman

Problem is you really don't know what you are getting for metal. As long as the grade 40 tests to 40kpsi and grade 60 tests at

60kpsi, it can be all over the map. North Star steel is here in town, I talked to their metalugist over this issue. Carbon content as well as the various alloys can vary tremedously.

OT: I watched them roll some 3/8" bar one night, it comes out of the last roller at something like 30mph. Then the lead end of an

800' l>
Reply to
Roy

I agree: my neighbor works at Cascade Steel in a nearby town, and he tells me it gets real exciting when a long strand of 1/2" rebar misses a guide and is laying on the concrete floor within a few seconds.

Another exciting time there is when someone dumps a chuck of metal which has some water inside it into the furnace. The explosion can knock roofing panels off the building, not to mention put workers lives in danger. I've heard these 'booms' from where I work, about a half mile away, and VERY loud.

Dan L.

Reply to
del

small world i used to work in the rolling mill at NSS (St.Paul, MN) .. maybe thats the one you're talking about. i know NSS has a few minimills around the country.. but i think St.Paul was the biggest (if not the only) rebar mill.

"missing" the next mill was called a 'cobble' i've seen that stuff fly straight up probably 50'

-- some of it still hanging in the girders.

the guys would come out of the woodwork with torches and cut it into a million pieces .. back to the furnace.

watching the red steel fly by was little starring at a campfire.

-tony

Reply to
tony

Thats the place, down by the river. Recipe for a ladle: toss in

10 car bodies, lower the three 14" elecrodes, turn > small world
Reply to
Roy