Rebar welding

To do some decorative work with rebar, should I use a wirefeed or stick weld with 6010?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:27:29 -0800, "SteveB" wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stick with lowhigh 7018, sounds right to me.cl.

Reply to
kc5cqa

I would use a 6013 or 7014 for a better looking weld. I would use sticks because to me it's easier to see what I'm doing on small objects.......

Reply to
Ben Shank

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:27:29 -0800, "SteveB" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

yes

****************************************************************************************** Until I do the other one,this one means nothing Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

Agreed on the 6013 or 7014. Undercut is reduced and the result is more appealing. The slag frequently separates as the metal cools.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

As the others have said and for all I know, anything will get the job done.

I made what is best described as a 10' square grate from a couple hundred feet of 1/2" and 5/8" rebar, welding a complete saddle-shaped ring around each point of contact i.e. where each horiz & vert bar crossed. Each joint had four separate short welds to complete the ring. Way overkill but I figured completely filling in a ring at each contact created a smooth surface, no cracks to hold moisture, so maybe it would resist corrosion better. Used MIG with .035 flux core wire and 75/25 gas. Went fast, clean and painless - 640 individual welds total that took only an hour once it was tacked together. The .035 wire was a good match for the weld shape, came out looking OK, no problem with undercut.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Powell

From what I have learned in my 29 years of welding, I firmly believe that my .030 E70S-6 wire and 75/25 gas will hold it fine. There will be no load on it other than its own weight, plus possibly some canvas inserts. I did want to plant some trumpet creeper vines on it, and have it substantial enough to support them. I didn't want to use regular square tubing because it would rust out.

I was asking because I believe the metallurgical content of rebar is different. I believe the carbon levels are higher. Anyone who knows about such things correct me.

I was just curious if anyone thought the welds would be brittle enough to snap over a time. Like I say, I doubt it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB