Retipping diamond core bits

We have a worn Hilti diamond core bit. We've cut away 4" and have a new

4" replacement tip. They're magnetic hence deem them as steel. Being that the bits operate at ~ 2500 rpm we'd like to have as little rotational eccentricity while drilling for obvious reasons. Also as we'll a sound weld :>. We have mig, tig, & stick capabilty. Any help in selecting the proper / most successful technique regarding welding / fixturing would be wonderful.
Reply to
www.ironworkx.com

Can you machine a pilot stub on one end and drill a matching hole in the other? It would help alignment. Try for a press fit with a weld prep groove around. I would preheat at least to 250 F and use something like E

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I would thinkg that Hilti would give you recommendations for doing this properly. Did you ask them?

When I looked at their web site I found a link that said "For quick refurbishing of Hilti diamond core bits" The page says: "Simply remove the old Hilti change module and braze on the new one within a few minutes, your old core bit is like new" So brazing I'd say is the way to go.

I'd contact them and ask for more specifics.

Lane

Reply to
Lane