RFI: Designing welding machine cart

I took delivery of a new MillerMatic 175 to go with my TA185TSW and want to build a cart to house both of them. My question is can I desgin it with them side by side, or do I need to have them one atop the other. Neither one seems to have cooling vents on the sides.

Also, how long should I allow one machine to cool down after welding so I can unplug it and plug the other machine? The TA, with its auto fan, never seems to run as high as it does when it starts up, so I think it is not even getting hot.

Thanks, Rod

Reply to
rod richeson

There may be something in the manual as to clearance. I'm almost positive the TA manual addresses that, but I don't have it handy. You could also call Miller. I would absolutely go by the factory recommended clearances.

Since both welders will live on the cart, why not just bolt a couple of surface mount NEMA 6-50 receptacles somewhere on the cart and have them both be fed by a pigtail cord with your favorite 240V plug on it? That way, you plug the cart in and you don't have to worry about the above. You could even run a neutral so that you could also add a 120V 20A receptacle for keeping a grinder handy.

I'd feed it with cord and "cart plug" sized for 40A or so, since the TA will pull almost this much flat out.

Obviously common sense dictates that you don't run both welders flat out while your friend fires up the 9" angle grinder...

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler