rigging in welding and for ironworkers

Book arrived in post this morning. Looks stunning. Thanks everyone. -- Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Glen and everyone

Thanks for all the contribution on that thread. The whole topic played on my mind for some time.

I read "On rope - ..." It's a great book. It's helped organise my thoughts

"On rope - ..." addresses an entirely different situation to what I was confronted with. Everything in "On rope - ..." is where there is a person on the end of the rope - so rightly you are very precious about the equipment being infallible.

This could not be more differnt to the situation I was working with.

The rough rope rigging methods in steel erecting place everyone out of harms way. Which means you do not need to be precious about the infallibility of the equipment. You must see the big inherent safety advantage of applying the rigged method - which I was so reluctant to loose. Obviously you don't want 200kg steels crashing to the ground trashing concrete and destroying equipment and stores nearby, but being realistic as no-one was put in harm's way, the risk was low, remains low and such incident is not serious.

So using a rigged solution is a big safety GAIN irrespective of whether the rigged solution can suffer complete failure. This changes how you "inspect" and "certify" the rigging equipment. To meet Regulatory requirements a visual inspection of rope condition becomes sufficient where "consequence" is low.

UK lifting equipment regulations specify visual inspection as the default. A "competent person" must judge whether this is sufficient. In this case, it looks to be. I hadn't foreseen this before asking the question here.

Thanks all

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith