Rod choice

I get lots of free granite pieces. I want to make a "water feature" where I am going to put flat slabs about a foot apart, and on the horizontal. Each will be supported by rebar on end. I'll probably have to weld it all together, starting with some hefty stuff for the main supports like one inch. What would be your preferred rod? 6010 or 7018 comes to my mind. About half of the welding will be done in the vertical position.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Clean new metal, or ground surfaces, 7018 is great. If using rusty scrap metal, 6010 would be better.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks. I'm going to try to find some older larger diameters, just so they don't rust through in the next twenty years, plus having to hold up maybe a ton of water and granite. When I think of these, I think of some smaller ones, then my mind wanders, and they start growing. I'm getting to the point now that my shop has worked its way up on the honeydew list, and I hope to get cranking on some fab work soon.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve, not an answer to your question, but if you can get some levels or section with a perfect level, and then notch artistically you can get some really cool water affects. Like a whole sheet of unbroken water coming off a section, but dressed uniformally with thicker streamers of water shooting arcoss it at angles to meet partway down. Years ago I saw a concrete dam across a valley that was put in by some farmers. When flood levels were reached there was a near perfect sheet of water going over it from end to end. Sadly, the dam didn't make it through the flood levels in the early

90s. They replaced it with dirt.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have several granite guys who are saving scraps for me now. All the granite around here is 3/4" IIRC thick. By epoxying it on a flat sheet, I will make a little reservoir on top of each sheet, and with some allthread underneath, I can adjust the level until the right effect is achieved. I just have to get the mainframe gawdawful strong, and then have the allthread for settling and leveling. Yes, a really good wall of water is a beautiful thing.

I'm really looking forward to this project, as it will be relatively cheap. That's after the $5k of stamped dyed sealed concrete, that is. The dogs and birds should like it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm not sure that there is a good rod for granite...

Mark Rand (sorry, couldn't resist) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand