Rod recommendations...

Gunner Asch wrote:

3/32 6013 running at a panel setting of 50A plus whatever the arc control added to prevent sticking along the way worked fine. Certainly not pretty welds like with TIG, but they got better as I went along.
Pete C. wrote:

The skin of a container is a structural member. If you cut a hole in the skin and want to maintain the structural integerity of the container you will need to add re-enforcement around the hole that you cut. If you don't and it gets supported by its hard points, the thing may buckle at the corner points of the doors.
John

Also check to see if the container is made of Corten steel. Corten is designed to rust and seal itself, and may require a special rod.
It all depends on what you are going to use. The stuff is fairly flexible, and even walking on the roof causes it to bow. I cut a side door in mine, but the door did not require any welding, just bolting. I am now welding on some trusses to cover two containers with sheets of profiled steel. I am using wirefeed, but am welding them on only at the side top corners where the steel is the thickest.
I would suggest MIG, and making a series of hot tack welds over continuous runs.
Steve B wrote:

The "skin" of a container is the web of an 8' high I beam essentially. You can put a pretty big hole in the web of a beam without weakening it. These containers are also in a fixed location and will never be loaded with 50,000# of cargo, perhaps 15k tops.

I'm not building a container, just grafting some doors into it. We're talking a handful of 1" long beads to secure the door frame, and just caulk the rest.

You've got a crummy container or are rather overweight then. I've been on top of four different 40' cans and none of them had roof panels that had even a little give under my weight.

I don't have a MIG.
Gunner Asch wrote:

25'??? 6,500# AL??? The 40' steel containers have a tare weight of something like 8,200#.
Gunner Asch wrote:

It doesn't have a rating label with the tare weight listed? Of course some of the weight will be the floor plywood, and some component of the frame, door locks, etc I think will still be steel. My guess would be around 4k in AL.
    [ ... ]

Pete,
    Is this an artifact of your newsreader, or are you actually typing three question marks in a row?
    I see, starting the first quoted line:
        25'??? 6,500# AL???
    The reason I ask is because some systems will display weird characters as three '?' in a row. "Weird" meaning anything which is not *directly* shown on a keycap -- things like "bullet" points, open and close curled double quote marks (instead of just two vertical ticks), and letters from some non-English languages. Sometimes, word processors will produce these characters, even if you *think* you are typing something normal.
    So -- am I missing something here?
    Thanks,             DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Three question marks indicates an incredulous question, a punctuational "are you serious?". In this case the reference to a 25' container which would be very non standard 20' and 40' being the international standards, with 45', 48', and 53' used domestically only. And the 6,500# weight for an AL 25' container, when a steel 40' only runs 8,200# or so and steel 20' containers under 5k.

Sounds like you're conflating trigraphs (from the C Language standard) with escaped literals (\nnn). The defined trigraphs are:
??= (maps to #) ??/ (maps to \) ??' (maps to ^) ??( (maps to [) ??) (maps to ]) ??! (maps to |) ??< (maps to {} ??> (maps to })
Trigraphs were used when the machine character set did not include the octothorpe, backslash, caret, square and squirrely brackets (e.g. some EBCDIC and BCL mainframes, and early teletype and unit record gear).
scott

    Well ... since that last posting, I got one which was showing "???" where I would have used a single quote (like the "'" in "don't").
    I *think* that it came from a Mac, but I'm not sure. I forgot to check the headers.          And -- IIRC, it was in a mailing list, not a usenet posting, FWIW.
    My system is set up to use ISO-8859-15 or ISO-8859-1, and as a result does not properly display anything in the control character range (0x00 - 0x1F) and the same with the parity bit set (0x80 - 0x9F). (Of course, it properly does what it should for CR, LF, BELL, FF, BS and a few others, but I don't count that as "displaying". :-)
    I've determined this by feeding the offending text through something like "od -c" or my own hex dump which I wrote years ago for the formatted hex/text dumps which I was used to on other systems.
    IIRC, in previous encounters, the "???" where I would expect a single quote turned out to be in the 0x80 - 0x9f range. I think that the Euro symbol winds up there, too.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Site Timeline