?'s about hooking up rotary amp control

I got my CK rotary amp control in and was reading the instruction for hooking it up and have some ?'s.

CK's WARNING

************************************************************************ It is imperative that this remote amperage control device be grounded to the chasis of the welding machine to avoid high frequency damage. An earth ground lead is provided from the amphenol plug to be connected to the chasis. ( Specifically for a Miller Syncrowave seris machine a chasis earth ground is required. Seperate earth ground lead must be attached to the chasis and never to the metal amphenol plug as damage to the machine is possible. ) Please note that the manufacturers warranty does not include damages resulting from misuse or failure to conply with warning. *************************************************************************

Now this is what I got out of that.... connect ground wire from amp control to the frame of the welder and the welder should have a ground wire going to earth ground.

I have a Miller 180SD on a cart and don't have a earth ground on it. Should I just hook up the ground from the amp control to the chasis of the welder and call it good.

My foot control doesn't have this extra ground for the chasis.

How has others here done this?

Thanks in advance, Jack

Reply to
jack

The larger of the 3 pins on your plug is an earth ground. All a 220 v single phase machine has is 2 hots and a ground.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, that was what I thought... That makes me feel better about hooking it up... didn't want to buy another.

When I read earth ground... I pictured the Miller drawing of a stake in the ground and a wire from the welder to it.

Thanks again, Jack

Reply to
jack

Mine is grounded to the chassis of the welder. I set it up for quick-on/off with a stud and wing nut.

When you get a chance, let us know how you like the amptrol.

Reply to
David Todtman

Thanks again... the wing nut is a good idea

The tension on the belt is bit stiff and I'm not sure what to do with the extra covers... but I guess that'll come with time.

Jack

Reply to
jack

That should loosen up a bit with use.

The extra covers allow you to block off one side or the other of the toothed belt.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I was asked in an earlier post to post the price of the CK items I was buying.

These are the prices from my local industrial supply store:

CK 110 pencil 25ft. 76.00 Dinse connector 46.00 Rotary Amp control 28ft. 157.00 Series 2 gas saver front end kit 32.00

Jack

Reply to
jack