Silver content in 56% flux coated brazing rods

This is a lot of 2 lbs of 56% silver brazing rods.

I wonder what is the actual silver content in them, given that they are flux coated.

Ignoramus16406

Trick question?

17.92 oz., right?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not a trick question. They are flux coated and flux does not have silver content.

Ignoramus18332

Does working on the 1/16" diameter help? If you know how many in the pack.....

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis, I think that this idea takes the prize. I will count the rods when I get the item. Thanks

Ignoramus18332

Estimate the thickness and length of the flux coating, you know the od of the rod and thus the id of the hollow flux cylinder, calculate the flux volume, assume a density of 1 gram/cm^3, calculate the weight, subtract that from the total, then apply the 56%, and Bob's yer uncle :-).

This is a lot of 2 lbs of 56% silver brazing rods.

I wonder what is the actual silver content in them, given that they are flux coated.

Carl Ijames

I should have paid closer attention!

From the MSDS, it appears that the flux comprises about 13% of the weight of the rods. So ~15.9 oz. Ag. Si?

Ingredient Range CAS Number wt% Silver, elemental 30-60 7440-22-4 Copper, elemental 10-30 7440-50-8 Zinc, elemental 10-30 7440-66-6 Boric acid 5-10 10043-35-3 Potassium fluoride 5-10 7789-23-3 Tin, elemental 1-5 7440-31-5 Sodium fluoride 1-5 7681-49-4 Potassium borate 1-5 1332-77-0 Potassium chloride 1-5 7447-40-7 Lithium chloride 1-5 7447-41-8

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Problem is, it's not avoirdupois ounces you're dealing with---it's troy. Assuming no flux, it would be 16.33 troy ounces. That, of course, is assuming they're talking about avoirdupois pounds in the listing. If they're talking about troy pounds, it would be only 13.44 troy ounces.

It's all very confusing if you don't understand the troy and grain system.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

(...)

Grrr. :)

One of my favorite tirades is the way we saddle ourselves with quaint but confusing and inefficient measurement systems. We use the same word to define different things.

don't mention the 'thickness' oz. used in etched circuit board work, which is based on the weight of copper per square foot rather than -per square yard as in the thickness of fabric!)
And we use many different words to mean largely the same thing:
I'd like a wall chart depicting every possible unit defined as some variety of 'ounce'. That would be amusing!

"Did you mean 'optical ounces', 'olfactory ounces' or 'acoustic ounces'?"

"'Velocity ounces', of course!"

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
Mark F

For what it's worth, I weighed a 1/8" dia X 36" plain brass brazing rod today.

41.5 grams with flux 35 grams with flux removed

Weights are approximate since the only gram scale in the plant is mounted inside a three sided box (for weighing pigment) so I had to attempt to stand the rod on end rather than lay it on its side.

Flux removal is not a waste since most of what little brazing that is done here is with TIG rather than oxy acetylene so the flux needs to be removed anyway.

Reply to
William Bagwell

Heh. I have a wall chart with thread dimensions for something like 400 'Standard' thread sizes up to 1". UNC, UNF, Whitworth, etc all the way to 'Italian Bicycle'. Someone comes in with a strange part, asks 'What thread is this?". We just point to the chart, tell them to go figure it out.

I got the base data from someone on the NG, not sure where. It's been reformated so we could print it on the large format printer, then had it laminated. Could send the Excel file if needed.

Reply to
RoyJ

(Many Many Thread standards)

Yes please!

Could you post it to the dropbox as a .csv and provide a link?

Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I can remember a chart that I ran across frequently when looking for thread data and it gave information for many threads current and obsolete but the last time I looked recently I couldn't find it. I think I found the site that had hosted it but they had re-organised it so that you could only look at the individual threads rather than the whole chart which gave all the threads in increasing diameter and pitch. I had thought I had saved the page but can't find it now.

Reply to
David Billington

Sent to the drop box!!! Have fun. File names are Thread info text format.txt Thread info comments.txt

Reply to
RoyJ

(...)

Thank you, Roy.