taking long straight cuts with oxyacetylene (Is there a trick to it?)

Ken when i'm actually upset that sentence can have over 20 and two pauses for breaths. But those moments are best saved for damaging a tool or an injury than for consuming a consumable.

I pick my moments for lowering my stress level i dont kick my container unless i have my steeltoes on too.

Reply to
Brent

I've got "training wheels" that clamp on the cutting head. All copper, got them from Princess Auto during the brief time they were present in the U.S. I've seen similar gadgets in the welding supply for plasma heads, much higher price, though. Tip to work distance and angle are both adjustable. Also rigs up as a compass for circle cutting. Just get a chunk of wood or angle iron long enough for a fence, get the C-clamp visegrips out, line things up and have at it. Just have to have a steady hand to drag the thing at the right speed.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I once replaced the in-tank fuel pump in my truck by myself and in under an hour and never ran out of expletives...

Reply to
Pete C.

Would Ferrite magnets be good for this? Aren't they very cheap indeed and difficult to demagnetise?

Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Those two things are often mutually exclusive!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Neodymium is nominated in this case for one simple reason. I have several here readily available.

If i keep demagnetizing them the i'll change to ferrite and use the neodymiums and studfinders which is what i normally keep them handy for. But best to use available parts first

Brent

Reply to
Brent

[ ... ]

You want cheap but massively strong Neodynium magnets? Do you have any old (but not too old) computer disk drives? Are they any good? If not, strip them apart, and you will find a pair of flat Nd magnets inside the voice-coil head positioning system. (The heads are on the end of a long arm which pivots. The other end goes into a housing where there are the magnets. It will take a bit of force to get these apart, as they are held by the magnets themselves. Slip and you will get a nasty pinch.

You can release them from the metal plates (which are always the wrong shape) by applying heat to release the Loctite like adhesive, and sliding them free.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Brent

Thanks Don

I've been suffering from a hugely long string of hard drive reliability that i would just as soon not change so i dont have any spare HDD magnets handy. I did not know however that heat would release the adhesive.

However there is an electronics scrapyard in town that i might need to visit if the Nd button magnets that i have wont cut the mustard

Reply to
Brent

I have found huge differences in the magnets from HDD's. The really good ones that I've found have been from the large drives (physically large - about 4" high). They have multi platters (6 or 8, IIRC) and need to swing that many more arms. The magnets in the single platter drives have hardly been worth the effort.

YMMV, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I don't think that's a kluge at all. That's a neat solution, once I figured out you meant a complete bearing with internal and external races and not just a ball. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

My bad.... damn English language . It's really nice if the ball bearing actually rolls, too Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Well YOU could try harder! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

-snip-

Thanks for saying that. I've taken apart 3-4 regular drives & haven't been impressed with the magnets. Thought it was just the newer drives. Have to look for some big ones.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Gee. I replaced the sending unit in the gas tank on my '63 Pontiac Catalina convertible in about the same time, in spite of the fact that the dealer's mechanics insisted that the tank had to be drained and dropped, to reach the top of the tank. I used a stubby Xcelite socket driver, and manages to twist and turn both units, the old one out of the tank, and the new one in without a single expletive. Of course, they didn't believe me.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell