Tig amp setting confusion

I'm having a brain fart, basically, when it comes to amp settings. I know the golden rule per Ernie of 1 amp per .001" of thickness for Al, for example - but is that what you set the dial to, or what you weld at? I like to weld using the foot control to control the heat, should I have it all the way down for normal welding - ie maximum het up to the dial setting, or should I expect to weld with the foot control at say 75% when the dial is set at 1 amp per thou?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

It depends on your machine, but my 1 amp per 0.001" gets you "close". You will not necessarily need all of that range.

Further refinement of your settings will need to be developed through trial and error. In general the 1 amp per 0.001" should never be too low of an amperage but might be a bit high.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Like he said. On my Thermal Dynamics machine, the torch slider (or foot pedal if you use one) varies the current from zero to the *dial setting*. So I set the knob in the machine a little higher than Ernie's recommended value. This gives good range on the slider without it being too touchy.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards