TIG Filler rod questions (various bizarre stuff)

Got a bucket of welding rods yesterday. Some questions.

  1. I have some yellow rods that look like brass rod or bronze. Any idea what they may be.

  1. I have some 410 stainless filler rods. Can they be used with other grades of stainless (308, 312 etc).

  2. I have some strange rods for welding tool steel. Some say air quenching. What are they for, welding or buildup or both?

  1. I have a box of long (2 feet long) dull grey tungsten rods, maybe

1/16". Any idea what their intended use may be.

Also got some that looks like regular steel rods covered with very large amount of flux. I think that I will just throw those away, but I have a suspicion that these may be for cast iron.


Reply to
Loading thread data ...

1.might be chromalloy

2.should be OK unless you are welding critical (aircraft) parts

3.mostly for build up and hardfacing


Reply to

Thank you DM... Appreciate the quick tips...

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.