tig foot control - reverse engineering resistance levels

Hi,

I need to make my own foot control for a tig welder. How would I go about figuring out the correct resistance levels for a potentiometer. Do I simply take a measument off the panel current control potentiometer and use the same in the foot control. (Control panel voltage is 24v with a 3amp fuse).

I hope its that simple. If it is how does the welder take into account the two potentiometers. I.E. When the current switch is set to " remote" the foot control is only supposed to go up to the setting on the panel current control. If this is the case, it seems to me that the foot control resistance value is independent of and has nothing to do with the panel current pot value.

If its not that simple, how do I go about finding the correct resistance value?

Aloha, Russell

Reply to
Russell Shigeoka

Depends on the design, year, and manufacturer of the welder. Most modern electronically regulated welder foot controls use a 2 watt linear taper pot with a value somewhere between 2k and 10k. The exact value isn't critical.

On some of the old stuff, it can get downright bizzare. Example, the Dialarc control you pictured in another message.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

CK Worldwide lists the resistance levels for most brands of TIG controllers. They sell aftermarket controllers so they freely tell everybody what the readings should be.

What machine do you have?

The second page of this PDF file lists the major ones.

SSC Controls is another aftermarket controller maker. They also have some useful info on their site

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I need to make a foot controller for a LTEC Heliarc 306N.

The tech guy at ESAB said the resistance level was 15k. However, the ckworldwide pdf lists the Linde at 25k with no further details. But the ssc controls link shows the linde with 3 + 3 hubbell plugs uses a FC-4 foot controller which is what my manual says is the part I need. And the ssc controls shows the pin-outs verify with my experiments (I know I should not mention my experiments involved shoving cotter pins in the receptacles and attaching alligator clips with various pots and switches and a few shocks).

So I believe I am good to go. I will assume I need a 25k pot. Thank you Gary and Ernie.

This machine is turning out to be a challenge. The high frequency and post flow do not work. They are located on the same pc board. The LTEC

306N has 3 circuit boards. I took out the board to get the part number and to try and do some minor diagosing. I will call ESAB and ARCCO on monday and pray the replacement board is somewhere around $150 (I'm sure this is wishful thinking).

Aloha, Russell

Reply to
Russell Shigeoka