TIG gas mixtures for amateur

What are the advantages of 75% argon 25% helium compared to 100% argon for use by a beginner? I've been using argon since I got back into TIG a while ago, but have been told thet other mixes are better.

One person mentioned that at his work they always use 75% argon and 25% helium for stainless, says it is much faster and easier with no undercutting. They also use the same mix for aluminmum 1/4 inch and over to get more heat. He also mentioned other mixtures but I have forgotten what they are or the uses.

Is this worthwhile for an amateur doing a variety of stainless and aluminum? Are the benefits worth the trouble and expense, and how much additional skill is needed to bet good results? What is the down side of the other mixtures/

Thanks, WayneJ

Reply to
WayneJ

Using helium while TIG weld aluminum will help with heat input, haven't really tried helium on aluminum, however using 98% argon with 2% hydrogen will make a big difference on stainless.

Richard

Reply to
AMW

I use a pair of tanks, one argon, one helium. Most ofteh time I just use the argon. When I need some added heat or penetration I bleed in some helium. Makes a world of difference on aluminum, and on copper is it necessary for anything over 1/8".

A very simple manifold is easy to do.

Ernie Leimkuhler