UK MIG welders recommendations (advice sought please)

HNY people.

I'm looking to buy a MIG to replace my SIP 130. It's getting a PITA on the feed, the roller mounts are plastic and flex. I got right ragged off over the holidays getting under my bug, out of position, in the cold and damp & finding the machine wouldn't feed. Grrr!

I think I really want MIG as it will mainly be used for bodywork etc on old VWs. This is only a hobby, I own 2 drivers & have a resto project.

What would you guys recommend, makes & prices etc? My budget could go to around £500 at a push. Would prefer 2nd hand if poss Preferably something reasonably portable too!

Many thanks. Balders

Reply to
Balders

David Billington

If you can find one, a Murex Autolynx 4i is very good for car type stuff - it is a compact and light inverter based unit, with a variable 'inductance' control, and handles thin metal very well.

Migatronic also make some nice units, and some feature a wire speed control on the torch - very handy for adjusting things when you have crawled under !

Find your local welding dealer - they often have second hand gear which is far better value than one of the new toys.

have fun ! Dave

Reply to
Dave

Crap wire feed ?

Right in one! Not that SIP are complete crap or anything.

I've been offered a Murex Tradesmig 185 machine for that price, when my local shop felt like clearing stock recently (it's what I already use anyway). However in the under-500 bracket I'd generally go for a Cebora (which you can probably find in the local Partco)

There are also some bright orange "Butters" machines around which have a very enticing spec, but I've not used one myself

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's served me ok for a while though. Just they've got gash plastic brackets. It was cheap and I knew a lot less than I do now. Live and learn. I wish I'd known about this forum when I bought it. After using "very used" ESAB ones at nightschool I have become much better and these machines blow my one away.

I shall be paying my local Partco (Brown Bros) a visit

Ummm, I've just seen a Butters 170A on offer for £329 inc del. Sounds very good to me.

Thanks for the comments guys - please keep them coming. Much appreciated

Reply to
Balders

Butters aer UK made machines and very good quality............but always worth remembering its better to see if a local dealer can match any sort of "offer" price, as its nice to have service and back up locally, rather than having bought from someone miles away.

Ken

That's good to know, thank you. The more recommendations the better!

......but

I would much prefer to buy locally if I could. I did a bit of 'surfing' and have found some excellent offers on the web from the likes of

& Diywelding.co.uk so I shall have a few nice printouts to see if local companies can match.

Lincon's? (Nice adverts on Scrapheap Challenge ;-) )

I have seen Sealey's on offer (local paint/panel shop does these) are they worth having or best avoided?

Draper - worth having? (Local Brown Bros are a Draper agent)

A friend has a Cebora and says it's a good machine - Thanks Andy Where's the shop that had the Murex Tradesmig, please? I'm in Kent.

Dave - I found an Murex Autolynx 4i but it's out of my price range :'-(

It's a minefield out there. Thanks again.

Reply to
Balders

If you are an occasional user a Cebora machine would be just fine. If you ever intend to do any sort of production work then I would say look at Butters or Murex. Other machines you mention are ok, but not as good as Cebora, Butters, Murex.

Ken

But we had a Cebora and thought the build on the new SIP MIG was better !

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Which model, and when ? The Ceboras I've used have been nice, but I have heard they've started doing some low-end models.

I'm in Bristol BTW. One welding shop has moved away and turned their site into flats at huge profit. The remaining one is the one in Bedminster that does gas cylinder swaps too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Build quality may be marginally better, but can the same be said for SIP aftersales and backup service?

Ken

Umm which Cebora was that please?

I have been recommended: Cebora "pocket turbo 130" (£257) Fixed torch Cebora Craft Mig 180 (£433) Euro torch Sealey Super Mig 150/5 (£244) Euro Torch

I'm seriously considering the Butters AMT 170 (£328)

All nicely in budget and reasonably portable :)

I considered the Butters MT 1800 (£410) but it looks "professional" and I'll be using it outside in full view of people. It might make me a target for 'undesirables IYKWIM.

I shall be asking at college tonight (Vehicle Restoration and Sheet Metal work) for their advice, but please keep your comments coming.

Thanks Balders

Reply to
Balders

Cebora pocket MIG is total crap (I had one years ago!).................The Butters is the one to go for in my view, but if you intend to use any MIG set outside in full view of people, I would be very very careful as arc eye injurys due to welding flash is certainly something someone could claim against you for.

Ken

"Ken" wrote in news:1136890221.081573.218710 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Now that was some great news. I´ve just gotten myself a cebora pocketmig.... But then Ipaid zero for it, as I rescued it from getting sent to the dump, the handle neded 5 minutes of repair Henning............

Reply to
henning wright

Wanna make a coupla hundred percent profit? :D

Reply to
Balders

Bravo sir! Doing your part for recycling is a marvelous thing

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner