MIG pre/post flow gas modifications

Hi guys & girls.

I have an old BOC TransMig 110A 240V MIG. It's around 25yrs old but almost does everything I require, mainly panel work. However it doesn't do pre & post flow on the gas. This is making tacking etc a wee bit difficult, causing porosity and a 'dirty patch'.

I have wondered about creating a delay cct to the wire feed motor so the gas solenoid would operate ahead of the feed. This would mean that the tip would be live though.

My old SIP seemed have a two stage trigger which was great ie squeeze - gas on, squeeze more - feed. Also very handy for putting out little fires ;-)

Any suggestions would be greatfully received. I don't want to buy another machine, this one's brill.

Balders, based in the UK

Reply to
Balders

You can do preflow using a "time delay on relay" and postflow using a "time delay off relay". You can buy those on ebay. It is actually very easy.,

Ignoramus14280

Thanks Iggy, I knew you'd have the answer :-) I shall look for a couple then I shall be happy with my dinosaur ;-)

Reply to
Balders

They are kind of expensive on ebay (about $25 with socket, much cheaper than retail though), but you can look for misdescribed ones and find them cheaper this way. The downside is that it takes personal time.

Ignoramus6056

Reply to
Potblak

Comments noted, cheers guys. I like cheap fixes too. It's the pre-flow that would be the most useful to me. Checked on RS websites etc and a time on relay is about £35 (60 USD), over half the price I paid for the machine!

Reply to
Balders

Look on ebay, I bought six TDRs for $18 plus $6 shipping.

Ignoramus3756