wanted source for large protractor-like tool

I've recently had a whole bunch of times where I could have used a tool which I can imagine and try to describe but not name. It would be sort of like a protractor with legs except it needn't have any degrees marked anywhere. I'm just thinking of 2 long (like 24") legs, each quite straight, with a nicely made joint at one end so they can be formed into a V of any angular dimension. To use them, I'd set them using one of my protractors but then just use them as a gage. They would be very handy when bending pipe to a particular angle, or fitting any kind of pieces together at a specified angle. I could just make up a couple of pieces of 1/8x24" strip and drill/ream holes for a clamping bolt at one end, and round the corners around the holes. But I don't like making tools I can buy - is something like this available?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant....in drafting, this tool is called a compass or a divider. (they are different, mind you) They do make them in larger sizes including the size (about) you are looking for but are generally used in a classroom environment with chalk in them.... hmmm....would trammel points do it for you...I wonder.

actually, I bet if ya look at the above link, you just might see something you like...

-- Big Ben the "no, I don't work for them, no, I've never purchased anything from that company, all I did was a quick net-search" Slug

Reply to
Big Ben

it sounds to me like you are describing a 'rule of chords'.... this is a pretty common sort of a tool for boilermakers, its actually more like two rulers, each one 12" long in the standard version, though you can get bigger ones. they are joined together and can rotate to any angle, when you open them up 180 degrees you have a 24" ruler. there are very accurate markings on them (chords) that let you set the rules to any angle you like. the way it works is hard to describe, but easy to do. along one of the rules is an extra set of numbers... these represent angles. there is a punch mark at zero that the tip of a set of dividers can rest on. you open up the divider to get the angle you want... now, there is a reference punch on each rule. use the divider to get the rules opened up to the distance youve measured with the dividers and you have the angle you want. can also be used in reverse to find out what angle you already have. accurate to about 1/4 of a degree.

they're not hard to find, but not really cheap either. I cant tell you what they cost in the states, but here is aus its about AU$50 for a halfway decent one, maybe up to a hundred for a really good brand. youd probably get a really nice one in the states for about us$40-50 i guess.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke

It sounds like a compass to me. How long of legs are you thinking about?

Trammel points can get pretty infinite:

or

Malco makes some pretty big dividers for duct work:

the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Can't be a compass or dividers, can't be anything at the vertex except a joint. Have to be able to use it inside or outside an angle.

GWE

DanG wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Those appear to be unique to England and/or Australia. I don't need the chord markings, but the basic topology is correct. I'm thinking of sort of a really large bevel square, that would work great.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

There is an electronic "protractor" out there . It looks a lot like a carpenter's level , but pivots in the middle . I'm not sure if it locks at any selected angle , but we use one at the cabinet shop to check corner angles when taking field measurements . Wouldn't do to build a cabinet with the end angled at 44* if the wall is at 42* ...

Reply to
Snag

Mate, You might have to crack open the toolshed and make a set. From what you have described "large bevel square", I haven't seen on the market, but I have made quite a few over the years for cutting bevels on the end of UB's and various other bevel cuts. I used some 1 inch x 1/4 inch flat bar with a bolt through the intersection, tidying up the corner with a grinder.

Reply to
Rod Day

Hardwick's Hardware has several versions of that. Around 43rd and Roosevelt in the U district.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Sounds like a large bevel gauge

stuff used in glass or drywall-cutting layout. Here are some examples
but I think you could make one sturdier, cheaper, and in less time than it would take to find exactly what you want.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Funny, I have a hard time spending money on something I can easily make. :-)

How about one of these?

They're available separately too. Just search Amazon.com for "true angle"

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

How about two carpenter squares joined together? Two different length legs. Use two legs of the same length or one of each.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Thanks, Andy. I like that mitering tool on amazon, but now that I see how much they're getting for 50¢ worth of plastic and a 2¢ rivet, I think I'll roll my own. So now I'm going to look for two nice flat stainless 18" rulers with no cork or other backing, and make it from that.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I use a piece of oak found in the scrap bin behind a cabinet shop. It is about 3/4 by 2 inches and 24 long. I ran a groove down the edge with the table saw and used a power hacksaw blade with the teeth removed for the blade.. Good sliding bevels with a reach over 12 inches are hard to find. Stanley used to make them many years ago but discontinued. The Dutch guys when they go back to Holland often bring a few back if guys in the shop ask. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Sounds like a composes to me. Like school - but two points not one with a pencil. They are used in marking and measuring - scribing and such.

I have a pair next to my wood lathe and several inside and outside calipers.

Mart> Can't be a compass or dividers, can't be anything at the vertex except

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Blundered that one ! it is spelled : Compasses.

some used in drawing
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Mart> Sounds like a composes to me. Like school - but two points not one

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
CHUCKB

try

CHUCKB

try

CHUCKB

I have decided to cut off two lengths of bandsaw blade, grind off the teeth on the back side, punch the ends, and join with a screw/wing nut.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin