Welding cast iron ornaments to steel with MIG

We have a supply house here in town that sells cast iron ornamental stuff which I want to use to make a mailbox post. I was going to use 3/4" square steel posts and weld this ornamental stuff in the middle. Will there be a problem doing this with a MIG welder? I read in the archives about the problems of welding cast iron, but the salesman at the place that sells this stuff assures me that it'll weld right up. Is he lying to me?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
burntfingerling

Yes you can weld mall pieces of cast to steel. I would not expect full strength however. The joint will be brittle. If you are concerned about the onamentation cracking off run two small passes instead of one slow pass. The action of reheating the joint will reduce the shrinking stresses acting like a post heat. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman