Welding Helmets

I've forgotten what you call them LCD??. I only do a small amount but down at the local hardware store they have one @ $99 and one @$199. The latter has a harder helmet and looks better quality all round.. the electroniccs could be of equal quality however?? Thanks John

Reply to
Underpants

Hey Underpants,

Go to eBay. There selection and prices are better.

Here is one I bought not long ago, and it is working great!

Hope that helps, ~Joe

"Underpants" asked:

Reply to
jp2express

I just bought one at harbor freight on sale for $45.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

This is a difficult subject. Many here swear by their cheap helmets. Others swear at them.

If one is a professional, and it HAS to work all day every day, they can afford the $300 for a good one. For the hobbyist that uses it one half hour every few months, the cheaper ones may last just as long.

Your question is very difficult to ask because it is impossible to know how much you are going to use it, how hard you are on equipment, what the work environment is (will it be laid on a table when not in use, or in a place where it can get banged around).

For me, it came down to these things: I had the money to buy a good one. I value my eyesight. I like buying quality safety equipment and quality essential tools. I wanted something that I wouldn't be replacing very soon. ( I had to replace my first one after just a few months due to theft. grrrr) I wanted something that would stand up to heavy use.

You may use those criteria to decide for yourself, but remember this: It isn't a bargain if you're going to be back down to the store buying another one soon.

HTH. BTW, mine is a NexGen EQC, and other than it is a little on the heavy side, I love it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

and some of us swear by non-auto helmets.

I don't like auto darkening helmets, it seems to me that they darken too late. I like my cheap $9.95 heltmet. If i drop it, I spend $0.99 to replace the #11 lens.

Reply to
Tater

I bought a cheap one $99NZ. I do detect a flash before it darkens. I wondered if it was just the side flash(?). I tried adjusting the darkness, the highest level made it easier to see but was a little hard on my eyes.. Actually it was overcast outside, maybe that was partly the issue. I might find a professional welder and ask them to test it. Thanks John

Reply to
John

I've got an old saw bench. I wondered if I could get the right blade to fit and clamped some pipe (for example, it would give an even cut. U

Reply to
John