Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns, plus I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

Reply to
thunk

thunk fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did you ever hear of _cleaning_ the nozzle on a rattle can before putting it away?

Lots of us use small portions of spray cans, and then again, until they're empty. A little diligence and a cup of solvent will solve your clogging problems.

Hell, just turning the can upside-down and shooting just gas (followed by a quick wipe with a cloth) will help more than what it seems you're doing. (PS... doesn't work with "all-way" cans.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There are several solvents in spray cans, like carb and brake cleaner. Move the nozzle to one that has a similar type (odor) of solvent and flush it out. For lacquer-based paints you can soak the nozzle in lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and then flush with cleaner.

I haven't had a problem with them as long as I turn the can over afterwards and spray until the paint color nearly disappears. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'll second (or third) the turn-the-can-upside-down trick.

While this works with all the various kinds of rattle cans that I buy in my local hardware store, recently I've been shooting small woodwork pieces now and then with satin and semi-gloss MinWax polyurethane. I've had the cans for months and they're still spraying just fine. After I do the shoot, I just turn the can upside down and spray for five seconds or so until it looks like it's shooting just gas. Then I wipe the nozzle off with my fingertip and put the can away until next time. Never a problem.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

Remember to take the nozzle off the can and dip it in solvent RIGHT after you're done spraying, thunk.

As to triggers, they're available, but I've never seen one with a built-in nozzle.

I tend to use lacquer thinner for most things of this sort.

Ditto.

I think easiest of all for thunk would be to simply purchase beaucoup nozzles. They're cheap on eBay. I got 30 for $5 or so a few years ago. I lose a lot of nozzles in the truck. OK, $6.94 delivered now.

Cheaper than a couple cans of paint.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bought some clear Rustoleum in a can that was supposed to spray in

*any* position including upside down. It did that for a while but then it took to spraying *only* in the upside down position, nozzle cleaning notwithstanding.

That is when I bought the trigger gizmo. It still works fine. The trigger, BTW, only attaches to the can and allows to operate the nozzle without any contortions. It does not have a nozzle by itself.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The every-way Rustoleum cans have a silicone dip tube and a "clunk", just like in an aerobatic aircraft tank... so the clunk (and the end of the tube) is always at the bottom of the tank. Sometimes they get stuck between the connector pipe at the top of the can, and the can wall.

A smart rap on a table with the bottom of the can down will usually solve a stuck clunk.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks. Who would have thunk?

Reply to
mkoblic

I toss nozzles into a jar of brake fluid and every so often blow them clean so I always have spares available.

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Push the button on one of those.... WHOA MOMMA!

Reply to
clark

That usually works on people too!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Problem solved. Now, where to get replacement straws for WD-40 cans?

Reply to
robobass

Take a look at this:

rangerssuck