Welding propane tanks

If they are doing hot taps and hot tie ins with oxy/acy then they are illegal. They are more likely using oxy/acy for small diameter services, like a lot of distribution companies do.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I just remember the guy explaining that he needed to practice gas welding pipe between his feet while standing in a narrow plywood box he made to simiulate a hole in the ground.

I just pictured him going airborn.

He explained that as long as the gas is flowing in the pipe you are reasonably safe, but if the flow stopped...all bets were off.

I was surprised that they weren't arc welding them and he said it was simple economics. Gas rigs are cheaper than generator welders.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

That may sound nice to people who have no clue about this work, but it's not true. Oxy/acy welding lines under 2" is still common in many distribution companies. Oxy/acy welding bigger pipe has been illegal since before I was born.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

This sounds like the commercial - I believe the reason is siphon and pumping. the far end pulls the load or pumps it by drawing it in and pushing. I suspect the far end the other way is pushing some as well - but if the cut is small then the siphon is stronger and pulls in air into the pipe. Much like a venturi -

Who me ? - just spent 19 years with SLB. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

When I was a welding student at Orange Coast College on of the instructors has been a hot tap guy for the local gas company.

They used oxy acet for gas leaks.

The technique was to gas weld with high pressure gas blowing, and to make a "volcano" of glowing metal with gas streaming out. Apparently with the right size cone and some practice, you just smash the cone with a big, cold hammer and the leak stops.

You could not do this with a MIG, TIG or stick system.

Reply to
frank