Welding (tig) reference materials?

I am looking for in depth welding reference, especially for TIG, that discusses how to set preflow, what cfh to use, what amps for what thickness, dealing with HF starting, pulsing, yada yada yada. Basically a big thick book full of tables and such. Any suggestions?

Given that some welds are hard to tell whether they are good, I think that I would be better off having spent even big $$s on a book like that, as opposed to having learned tig welding purely by trial and error. A book is not a replacement for experience, practice is necessary, etc, but a good book can help avoid pitfalls and save time.

Ignoramus18928

All joking aside, a lot of people are going to disagree with me but my best references are joining the AWS and getting the Welding handbook and enough supplemental info and close groups for information overload and second. The Miller GTAW paperbound manual is a lifesaver in mid-technical writing. Very well composed... Then there is this guy Ernie Leimkuhler who is writing this new book. presently. That will prob. be the bible. AirGas or your local Miller dealer will have it in stock usually. I got the Lincoln one too but it seems to "bounce topics" rather than maintain a specific end result. It too is well written but I just had better luck with the Miller book when getting my cherry popped on tig.

All the best,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
RDF

Do you think joining AWS is worthwhile for a hobbyist? I really enjoyed their show last year, but am being bombarded with ads asking to join.

Reply to
Albert1234

I get a lot out of it, even as a hobby, why not have the best skills and information at your disposal for less than a night out on the town.... Free your mind and your ass will follow.... I can without doubt or hesitation say my skills have improved greatly since being introduced to that network. I do strongly suggest it. No one has treated me like a turd for being a small shop owner with minimal welding and a lot of the guys and girls are garage hobby welders. I guess that sort of says it. I have no regret what so ever.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
RDF

Thanks... Yes, I do have tet Miller GTAW manual, it is a great publication.

Ignoramus12004