Welding temps

I live in Michigan, so the outside temps this winter will be below freezing. I plan on working on some demo derby and racecar chassis this winter,outside on nice days cause I have a small workshop that I keep my tools in but a car won't fit. So when I go to do some welding, the material will be at outside temps, anywhere from 0 degrees on up... most likely closer to 32 degrees on nice days when I will actually work on this stuff. Does the temp of the material make any difference in the quality or difficulty of the weld? I have always welded in the summer, or in a heated garage in the winter at my father-in-laws. Now I have my own welder at home, and want to do some welding this winter. I will be using a Hobart Handler 180 wire welder, and the material is mostly .095 thick 1 3/4 inch diam round tubing to build the roll cages and bracing. Any comments or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated! Earl

Reply to
big e lewis

You might find your helmet fogging up from inside. This has been my experience at even higher temperatures but I am forced to wear a drape to keep out the skylight from bouncing off the inside glass.

Also consider that the shutter speed may vary with temperature. This is only a speculation. I too would like to hear from experts on this.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Hello

The welding codes and good practice require that steel be heated to at least

18deg C (64.4deg F) prior to welding. Temperature should be measured 50mm (2inch) from the intended weld zone.

On the other hand I have seen shops weld on everything including cast iron at -20 C (-4 F) without the use of heat. And they get away without any immediate failures.

The only problem I have run across with autodarkening helmets is that temperatures below zero (32 F) can pretty much kill off the batteries ability to supply power.

John Noon

Reply to
John Noon

You say you've seen welding on cold items with no immediate failures... how about long term failure? I want to make sure the cage will hold up to the stress of racing, ( though hopefully not CRASHING! lol ), as it will be my butt or a friend's butt in the seat. Thank you for your advice! Earl

Reply to
big e lewis