Which rod for aluminum tig?

This will be my first entry into tig welding aluminium--I need to make about a half dozen small brackets.

I think I have enough base knowledge of the process to have a go at it. I'd like to get the aluminium at the local scrap yard but will not know the specs of the particular alloy. Is there an 'all purpose' rod for this type of situation? (Neither life nor limb will be contingent on the brackets.)

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Todtman

The common weldable aluminum alloys are 6061, 6063, 5052, 5086, 1100 and 3003. There are hundreds of other aluminum alloys but many are not weldable.

4043 is the most versatile common filler rod. 5356 is a little stronger, but isn't as forgiving.

4047 is my favorite rod for nasty, old, dirty, mystery aluminum, but it is hard to find.

For great aluminum info go to Alcotec.com and download their technical PDF files.

Hopefully the aluminum you find will still have the mill marks on it.

Stay away from 2024 and 7075

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler