TIG filler prices

Got a quote from an ebay seller that breaks down to an average price of about 7 bucks a pound delivered for 5 lbs each of ER4043 and ER309L TIG filler , half 3/32 and half 1/8" . I'm not sure this is a bargain ... and yet prices I see on the welding supply websites is a good bit higher . What is a good price for filler rod ? Mail order is probably the best option out here in the woods ... and if you think this ain't rural , I watched a flock of wild turkeys ambling across my driveway last week . Looked a lot like dinner to me !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thats actually a pretty good price. At least for here in California. Not a Miracle! price..but pretty good.

And shoot one in the head with your scoped 22. Plucking em is time consuming though.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I think you can do better then that if you are patient and keep checking Ebay and maybe Craigslist.

I have a fair amount of 308 in .125 and some 312 in .125 and smaller diameters. Also some Nilo and other more exotic stuff. I do not have a bunch of aluminum tig rod, but might be able to let you have some. The package I mailed on Monday was 6 lb 10 ounces. The pvc pipe it was in might be the 10 ounces.

Have not seen any nice straight Tig rod at the scrap yard lately, but will remember you if I do.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster
309 is harder to find in surplus deals. I would say if you need filler rod now, buy it at whatever best price you can find. Cost of filler rod is not really a big part of cost of any finished product. $7 per lb is not outrageous. i
Reply to
Ignoramus16221

Oh, and I do have 309 stainless MIG wire, 3/32 thickness, which you can use for tig. Appx. $3.50 per lb

Ignoramus16221

Right on. Remember you can use MIG wire and even stick rod ( probably want to knock the flux off ) When I was taking welding at the community college we used a lot of MIG wire for Tigging.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thanks everybody ! I got enough money out when I bought the welder to cover start-up consumables , knowing that gas , rod , tungstens , etc were going to cost a little . I got really lucky on the argon bottle , which left more for supplies . I think I'll go ahead with this purchase , it should keep me supplied for a while - considering the kind gentleman who has so graciously sent me a "care package" in there too . I got a few more sticks of 5356 from a neighbor last night . Practice is what I need right now , to get my muscles trained . Instead of just running flat beads I'll use that practice on stuff like the brackets for a "wife shelf" out in the shop , other needed stuff . My daddy once told my brother he might make a good mechanic , but he'd never BE one ... I'm hoping I don't fall into that category with my welding !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Wild turkeys /= rural. In Connecticut very urban and suburban areas have flocks of wild turkeys roaming around.

Reply to
Pete C.

I decided not to go thru with that purchase . Got a tube of 5356 coming from the neighbor , and with the stuff Dan has on the way it should be enough to get me well started . Dan , I'll probably buy some of that stainless rod you have . It looks like I can piggyback my aluminum on the neighbor's orders , and share some of that shipping cost instead of either of us paying the whole tab . Another neighbor asked yesterday if I can weld up a gash in the lid of his crossbed toolbox - I told him "Now I can!" . Fairly thin aluminum , about 1/8"+ , so I plan to clamp a piece of steel to the back side to prevent collapse in case I put too much h eat into it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Now is the time to start looking for flats and plates of copper, just for projects like this.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I got some brass ... but no copper . Eyes will be peeled in search of some .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Brass will work..sometimes..but it burns out the zinc pretty fast. Copper is the way to go. Ask the Central Office guys from the phone company also. They often use it for buss bars and other stuff. Check with the scrappers and the metal yards. You dont need a hell of a lot. I keep some around..a piece 10"x12", one about half that size and some others a bit smaller..but nothing smaller than 4"x5". Ive got probably

20lbs of pieces and use it regularly for tigging aluminum and sheet metals. And some long throat clamps to hold it to the backside of your workpiece if need be.
Reply to
Gunner Asch