Will a 7500w/12000w(surge) generator power a 110v mig machine (Thermal Arc Fab. 131)

If not, what sort of power requirements would I need in a generator?

Thanks

-Tom

Reply to
TT

I should think it would with no problem. I power a HH 175 with a Coleman

4000/5000 but just barely.

Reply to
bitternut

According to the Thermal Arc company literature for this mig it should draw no more than 20 amps.

A 7500watt generator should supply 62.5 amps (7500watts/120volts). Even if this rating is for split circuits you still have a rating or

31.25amps per leg. So the answer is, Yes it will handle it with no problem.
Reply to
tomcas

That generator will be "overkill" - a Honda EU2000 (or the equivalent Kipor or Yamaha) will handle it.

According to the published data, the Fab. 131 is rated for 90A@18.5V at a

20% duty cycle.

Simple math gives this to be 1665 Watts - easily supplied by a standard

15A@120V circuit - and well within the range of the lightweight and quiet EU2000 or, for that matter, any inverter capable of 2KW continuous output.

Of course, if you already _have_ that generator...

Reply to
RAM^3

Thanks guys, found a used generator with those specs for sale locally for $400. Just gotta make sure it's a decent brand and in good condition.

So this should power a 175 machine? Such as the miller 175 or comparable? That's good news.

Thanks

-Tom

TT wrote:

Reply to